VMware Cloud Community
ccondon
Contributor
Contributor

Emulex driver version

Hello, I am a newbie and hope I am posting to the correct area.

I am trying to determine the driver and firmware version of the Emulex LPe11000 we have installed on a Dell PE R710 server. This ia a fresh install of 4.1 only a few weeks old. We are running ESXi 4.1. This is not in production yet so rebooting the host is not an issue at this time.

The storage guy in our group asked me to confirm if the fc cards have the latest firmware and drivers installed so that is why I am looking. I've seen a few older posts referring to scripts to use but I am not well versed in scripts for the ESXi (just yet) and I am hoping with 4.1 maybe there is a way to view this from vCenter?

I have 5.0 CLI installed and I am trying various commands with not much success. Perhaps I should use v4.1?

Any thoughts or suggestions to help get me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Caryn

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ccondon
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I believe I just answered my own question after posting this. I allowed Remote Tech Support (SSH) and ran the following command:

~ # cat /proc/scsi/lp*/*

And the results are listed below:

Emulex LightPulse Fibre Channel SCSI driver 8.2.1.30.1-58vmw
EMC LPe11002-E 4Gb 2-port PCIe Fibre Channel Adapter on PCI bus 0000:05 device 01 irq 49 port 1
BoardNum: 1
Firmware Version: 2.80 (Z3F2.80X4)
Portname: 10:00:00:00:c9:b1:69:25   Nodename: 20:00:00:00:c9:b1:69:25

SLI Rev: 3
   NPIV Unsupported by Fabric
   RPIs max 512  RPIs used 1

Vport List:

Link Down
Emulex LightPulse Fibre Channel SCSI driver 8.2.1.30.1-58vmw
EMC LPe11002-E 4Gb 2-port PCIe Fibre Channel Adapter on PCI bus 0000:05 device 00 irq 41 port 0
BoardNum: 0
Firmware Version: 2.80 (Z3F2.80X4)
Portname: 10:00:00:00:c9:b1:69:24   Nodename: 20:00:00:00:c9:b1:69:24

SLI Rev: 3
   NPIV Supported: VPIs max 100  VPIs used 0
   RPIs max 512  RPIs used 4

Vport List:

Link Up - Ready:
   PortID 0x30e00
   Fabric
   Current speed 4G

Physical Port Discovered Nodes: Count 0
~ #

I hope this information will be helpful to someone else along the way.

Cheers!

Caryn

0 Kudos
elxaamaya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Caryn,

Another option without the need of going into Remote Tech Support Mode or even if the host is in lockdown mode use Emulex OneCommand Manager for VMware vCenter plug-in v1.1 for VMware vSphere 4 and vSphere 5. You are then able to view the information of the adapters within vCenter Server and also perform maintenance on the adapters. Attach is an image showing an example of the plug-in.

Here's the link: www.emulex.com/downloads/emulex/vmware/vsphere-50/management.html

Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
ccondon
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Alex,

Thank you so much for your input. I just installed the plug-in on Tuesday. Unfortunately I get an error when I click on the Emulex Tab tab for any of my 3 host servers. The error is as follows “Adapter information could not be fetched from the server. Cannot proceed further”. At that point all I can do is click on OK to that message. I have researched this error but there is nothing out there that even mentions the error nevermind a solution. I’m thinking it is an authentication issue of some sort but I’m just not sure where or how.

Thanks,

- Caryn

0 Kudos
elxaamaya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Caryn,

Install the CIM provider which are located on the same link. You will need to reboot the host so if you have the host in production then plan for the reboot accordingly.

Also I have notice folks having issues registering the plug-in so make sure you explicitly add the user through the vCenter Server and make sure its role is set for Administrator and not read-only.

There's an application note showing you what you need to do to overcome the error message for registering the plug-in. www.implementerslab.com

hope this helps.

Alex

0 Kudos
ccondon
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Alex,

Installing the CIM Provider did the trick. I truly appreciate your help with this. Being so new with VMWare is exciting but challenging at the same time.

Cheers!

- Caryn

0 Kudos