VMware Cloud Community
claytonbaker
Contributor
Contributor

Emulating Storage

Are there any products out in the wolrd that will allow me to emulate a SAN or other supported storage devices?

Ya see I have tons of IDE drives but even though ESX3 will load onto them they are not seen as storage for VM's.

Is there an alternative?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion

0 Kudos
claytonbaker
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

However I am A LOT rusty on the Unix side of life.

I guess my hopes a dreams is to be able to mount (if you will) a drive from a Windows based machine to the ESX server to be seen as storage for the VM's.

My issue revolves around the machine I have ESX running on. It has one SCSI drive however the controller on the Dell Precision 530 only allows for 1 SCSI disk to be attached. Since the drive is only 18 gigs I am limited on the amount of vm's I can install.

So I was hoping to find a quick and dirty way to use up my Windows file server for a ISCSI mount.

I will look over the supplied choices and read very close since the second option you have placed here does mention Windows.

Thanks a Bunch

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

I still think an iSCSI SAN mat be your answer, i think this one gives you iSCSI an Target from a windows Server.. Obviously this would only be for test and dev..

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Misc-Networking-Tools/StarWind.shtml

0 Kudos