VMware Cloud Community
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Editing files In ESX 3.0.2

I'm running EXS server 3.0.2 and i need to edit the following files from the console.

1. Edit the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file

2. Edit the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file

What commands do I use to do this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

you want to hit "i" to put it into insert mode, that will allow you to make modifications (i'm assuming to the allowrootlogin=yes)

when you have made the change hit esc to take you out of insert mode, then type ":wq" which will write(save)/quit

if you know you have made the changes and you want to just save/quit without any prompts are you sure, just type ":wq!"

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Andy66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can use vi , once in the file i will put you in insert mode, then when your done making changes hit esc and type :wq to save your changes and quit

for more info on the command you can type man vi

but before you make any changes you may want to make a backup copy using cp src dst

hth

Andy

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well I think the files you listed are the same files.. but you would use an editor like vi or nano

I use vi so it would look sometime like this:

vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config

or

nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

- Kyle

philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Vi editor is the weapon of choice. You can googlevi editor and find a bunch of howtos like:

Regards,

Fil

Thanks, phIL
0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

nano is simpler.

- just type : nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

- make your modification

- save with ctrl+o

- press enter

- exit with ctrl+x

0 Kudos
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok we are making progress. Im new to vi editor once I've located what I want to change in a file (in this case a no to a yes), how do I do it?

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

you want to hit "i" to put it into insert mode, that will allow you to make modifications (i'm assuming to the allowrootlogin=yes)

when you have made the change hit esc to take you out of insert mode, then type ":wq" which will write(save)/quit

if you know you have made the changes and you want to just save/quit without any prompts are you sure, just type ":wq!"

• Kyle

0 Kudos
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Kyle. You assumed correctly about what I was editing.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

one thing to add. After you change the allow root login to yes and exit out of the editer, restart the sshd service, to allow it to take affect without rebooting

service sshd restart

0 Kudos