VMware Cloud Community
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

EVC error

I am trying to create a new cluster with EVC enabled and when I move a host that is in Maintenance mode i get this error.

"A general system error occurred: The host's CPU hardware should support the Enhanced VMotion Compatibility mode that is enabled for this cluster, but some of the necessary CPU features are missing. Check the host's BIOS configuration to ensure that no necessary features are disabled (such as XD and VT for Intel, or NX for AMD)."

The servers are DL380 G5's

now the VT (Virtual Stuff) is enabled in the bios.

Stephen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prashantprahlad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It can be called a variety of things - based on your BIOS maker's fancy: Execute Disable (XD), No Execute (NX), Page Execution Protection, Secure Page Protection, etc. to name a few. This should probably be an option in the advanced settings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
deploylinux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hrm, we configured EVC fine in a new cluster recently - although the process was slightly different, we set EVC mode to enabled with core2 only support before adding any ESX hosts to it. Have you tried setting it up in that order?

0 Kudos
prashantprahlad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you know what kind of CPUs your 380G5s have? EVC requires Intel Core 2 (Merom) or later. Also make sure Execute Disable (XD) and Intel VT (Virtualization technology) are enabled.

If you can afford it, you could run the CPUID tool to figure out if your hosts are capable of EVC

http://www.vmware.com/download/shared_utilities.html

prashantprahlad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can now look at VMware KB 1003212 to check if your processors are EVC capable.

desh_thomson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Make sure execute disable is enabled in the BIOS. It is required for EVC to work.

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it looks like i have CPU's that are compatable with this Smiley Happy

i have Intel Xeon

E5345 's

5160 's

hmmm it sould work then.

---

Intel® Xeon® Processor 5000 series

5110, 5120, 5128, 5130, 5138, 5140, 5148, 5150, 5160 (Woodcrest)

E5310, L5310, E5320, L5320, E5335, L5335, E5345, x5355, x5365 (Clovertown)

-

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

where is the "Execute" in the bios to disable and what is it? the "VT" is enabled

Stephen

0 Kudos
prashantprahlad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It can be called a variety of things - based on your BIOS maker's fancy: Execute Disable (XD), No Execute (NX), Page Execution Protection, Secure Page Protection, etc. to name a few. This should probably be an option in the advanced settings.

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found it. that took care of it.

0 Kudos