VMware Cloud Community
MickMcLovin
Contributor
Contributor

ESX350-201012410-BG - What happens if it not installed by June 1st 2011

As the title says.....

Can you install it after June 1st if you want to install any further patches released after this date?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

My understanding is that if this patch isn't installed prior to June 1, then no patches (including this one) can be installed.  How many hosts do you have in this scenario, or what is the reason to not install the patch?  Just wondering....

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
MickMcLovin
Contributor
Contributor

We still have approx 150 ESX 3.5 hosts in a production environment that would require this patch. We generally update the hosts with 3.5 U4 or U5 etc so never noticed this patch.

We are due to update to ESX 4.1 later this year. Would it stop us upgrading using update manager if this patch isn't applied before 1st June 2011?

0 Kudos
MickMcLovin
Contributor
Contributor

If date of a 3.5 host is set beyond 01/06/2011 then the patch gives the following error

INFO: No repository URL specified, going with file:///tmp/ESX350-201012410-BG/ESX350-201012410-BG
INFO: Configuring...
ERROR: Integrity Error!
Signature 0BFA1C860F0B0A6CF5CD5D2AEE7835B14789B619: keyExpired: 4789B619

If further 3.5 patches have a dependency on this then it should be available. Not as if it take up alot of space its only an 11K download. Not getting VMwares mentality on this one

0 Kudos
AlanEden
Contributor
Contributor

As I discovered today, you can run the update after the 1st June should you need to.

All I had to do was to roll the date back on the ESX server to a date when the key was still valid (I went for 2nd May 2011) and ran the patch (and ESX350-201012404-BG which it's dependent on) manually on the console.  After installation, set the date back to the current date/time and it's all working happily again.

0 Kudos
rbirongjr
Contributor
Contributor

If you don't get it installed, you can still install updates by using ESXUPDATE via SSH on the host.

http://www.rogerbirong.com/2011/06/vmware-esx-3-5-update-manager-failure/

0 Kudos