VMware Cloud Community
cburchell
Contributor
Contributor

ESX3 and Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 NAS?

I see from the Storage / SAN Compatibility Guide that NAS devices are supported. However, I did not find any entry for Windows Storage Server 2003 R2-based NAS devices.

Has anyone successfully used a Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 NAS device to store and/or run VM files?

Is it possible to use such a device with ESX3 to store and/or actively run VM files?

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

I wish I could get my hands on Storage Server 2003 R2 to test it.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
cburchell
Contributor
Contributor

I understand it's a product that is licensed only to qualified integrators / OEMs by Microsoft for use in building appliances and other similar storage devices. I do not believe it's accessible outside these privileged channels.

Has anyone tested ESX3 with a Storage Server 2003 R2 powered NAS device?

0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is no CIFS support, so that's out. I don't know a lot about WSSR2, but I assume it still has an NFS server built in. If so, as long as it supports NFS3 it should work.

Check out the VMware documentation for the minimum NFS requirements, then check R2 NFS can do it. If so, then it will work.

Dave

cburchell
Contributor
Contributor

"Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003 R2: IT Pro White Paper"

Found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/wss2003/productinformation/wss2003r2-itpros-wp.mspx

page 13, Table 2:

File Sharing Protocols Supported in Windows Storage Server 2003 R2, says:

"NFS 3.0 supported in Windows Storage Server 2003"

CIFS/SMB also supported

The NFS included in Storage Server 2003 R2 appears to be a Microsoft based implementation of NFS ("MSNFS").

page 12:

"Microsoft Services for Network File System (MSNFS) provides Windows-based implementations of both the client and server aspects of Network File System (NFS), as well as related services and utilities."

VMware - if you are listening, can you confirm / certify (based on the above) that storage devices based on Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 are compatible?

It would appear that, if NFS 3.0 is the requirement, that appliances based on Storage Server 2003 R2 should work... but I'd like this confirmed before I blow my storage budget for the year.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert

Storage Server's NFS implementation is exactly the same as the one in Services for Unix 3.5 and in Windows Server 2003 R2. It works fine.

cburchell
Contributor
Contributor

just to clarify:

does 'works fine' mean I can both store and run VM files / VMDKs stored on a server running WSS2003R2 from VI3?

thanks!

0 Kudos
mikemast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have Widows Storage Server 2003 R2 Workgroup Edition x32 DVD.

I have it running a 2 HP NAS Devices, I have not tried to install into vmware.

Mike

0 Kudos
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert

Yes. We've run VMs over NFS to a Windows Server 2003 SP1 machine with Services for Unix Version 3.5, their performance is nominal.

0 Kudos
cburchell
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for everyone who responded - your replies have been very helpful.

0 Kudos
StartESX
Contributor
Contributor

Please,

Can you tell us how you configure windows storage server R2 ?

0 Kudos
Foreal
Contributor
Contributor

Bump.....Can anyone point me to a document that explains how to set up Windows Storage Server 2003 to allow NFS access for an esx 3 server.

0 Kudos
jsuarep
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have tried to install VmWare and a AIO Storage of HP and the problem seems in VDS.

I think VDS of Windows is not compatible with VMWARE, because a system with windows icsi initiator works properly.

If anybody knows how to do , please tell me.

Regards,

0 Kudos
DavidHazar
Contributor
Contributor

I am successfully running windows storage server thanks to a few hotfixes. See here:

http://davidhazar.blogspot.com/2009/10/solved-windows-storage-server-nas-nfs.html

0 Kudos