VMware Cloud Community
DannoXYZ
Contributor
Contributor

ESX3.5u2-110268

To remove the shutdown-bug and inaccurate resources display in the previous version, I updated to u2-110268. I also moved my drives to a new blade with more memory and quad-core CPUs. When I started it up, I got the error about the LUN being a snapshot and not mounting. So I set the VMFS behavior back to ESX-2.0 and refreshed to mount my disks, fine.

Now however, whenever I start up a VM, it gives me the exclamation icon and a black console window in VI. Using the web-interface from a browser shows the message about the msg.uuid.moved and asks if I want to keep/always-create/always-keep/cancel. Of course I choose to keep the UUID as I only moved the disk from one machine to another.

Anyway to get the console screen back so I don't have to use the web-browser interface?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just a lucky shot, but hasn't this got anything to do with wrong DNS resolution?

I remember having the same problems earlier and that DNS was the trouble causer

0 Kudos
DannoXYZ
Contributor
Contributor

DNS between the host and VM? Or VI to host? I've got all my hosts defined by IP in VI, so DNS shouldn't be an issue.

Why would it work OK in the previous version and break after update? Also it's only on the UUID screen. After select "keep UUID" option in the web-browser and the VM continues to start-up, I can then see its display in the VI console-tab again.

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hmmmm strange... I know that VirtualCenter normally gives out this message/question as well and that input is indeed required before the console-screen appears (obviously, since it first needs to start)

I assume you are managing the ESX hosts with VirtualCenter?

0 Kudos