VMware Cloud Community
Dentifrice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX updates...

Hello,

My virtual center is on a different site than 3 of my ESX servers. The WAN between them is very slow and I want to updates them to the last version.

Due to my slow link, I need to update them manually directly on the console instead of pushing all updates from VC.

Now my questions, can I do that without problem ? Will my VC dectect that my ESX are updated ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no problem with this. ESX will update the build version, and VC will recognize it correctly. I do this all the time as well, as the tarball update is usually faster than update manager.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

I would use the esxupdate command to perform that kind of task.

See more about it here->> www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_esxupdate.pdf

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no problem with this. ESX will update the build version, and VC will recognize it correctly. I do this all the time as well, as the tarball update is usually faster than update manager.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Dentifrice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

perfect !

thank you !

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Dentifrice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

done

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, yes you'll be fine upgrading like that but you should really (and have to in some cases) upgrade your Virtual Center server first. If in doubt, check the ESX/VC Compatibility Matrix. One gotcha is if your upgrading to VC 2.5 Update 3 and your ESX hosts are 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 then you'll need specific pathes are required for the config to be supported.

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
Dentifrice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I updated my VC to 2.5 update 3 last week.

All my ESX are 3.5.0 (no update installed)

should be ok ?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will be fine. The key here is to have VC at the same or higher level than your ESX servers, which you already do, so you will be fine.

-KjB

0 Kudos