VMware Cloud Community
sultanahmed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX unable to see datastore but targets viewable from storage adaptors

I have installed a new ESX host, which at the time was not plugged into the SAN (Via Fiber). Then I attached the ESX host to the SAN and adding the config to the SAN, however I am unable to view the datastores (there is 8 datastores) although the targets can be seen from the storage adaptors. All other existing ESX hosts can see the datastores (which currently have numerous VM hosts). I have rescanned the storage adaptors which has not resolved the issue.

I have read the following forum article, but a bit confused what needs to be done to resolve without messing any of the datastores. http://communities.vmware.com/message/933070

Any help will be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SimonLong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, which version of ESX are you running?

If your using ESX have use tried running this command in Service Console; esxcfg-rescan <vmkernel SCSI adapter name> ? I know in the past i've had issues with using the Rescan function in the VIC

Regards Simon

-

Visit My Blog, The SLOG at:

Follow me on Twitter:

Visit My Blog, The SLOG at: http://www.simonlong.co.uk
0 Kudos
sultanahmed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The ESX version is 3.5 Update 4, I have tried that command and it hasn't worked for me. :_|

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you installed ESX without san plugged ? and tried rescan with vmware running ?

if you do it, dont work! you need reboot a vmware, after vmware see one lun of a storage when you associate other lun the RESCAN works!

when you run vdf -h the vmware list all partitions of storage ? and esxcfg-mpath -l (the vmware see all "way" to storage?)

**If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for

"Correct" or "Helpful"**

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
jrenton
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Could be to do with the mappings on your SAN storage.

Does the storage adapters in your new host have RW access to the LUNs?

0 Kudos