VMware Cloud Community
Sdurand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX server with 2 different Storage Array?

Hi.

I currently have my ESX servers connected to mostly DS4700 storage arrays. Each ESX is dual path through a switch which in turns allows me to see my DS4700. My question is, can i zone my ESX server so that it "sees" my DS8300 and would i be able to assign LUNs to my ESX servers without any problems? Can both coexists? I am thinking i would have to use dedicated HBAs for my DS4700 and dedicated HBAs for my DS8300? From a UNIX stand point, those 2 storage arrays do not "communicate" the same way (for example RDAC and SDD).

Thanks.

Steph

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

SDD driver is for multipathing. VMware has it's own multipathing driver bundled with ESX server you will not need any 3rd part multipathing software.

In any case to be abel to see mutliple arrays you dont need to enable multpathing software. It's only meant for providing a redundant path to any LUN hosted by a single array through multiple SPs/Ports on SP.

Just zone the ESX server for DS8300, and a rescan should see the new targets and when you present LUNs to your host definetion another rescan you should see the LUNs from DS8300.

Hope this helps.

-Surya

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can zone the existing HBA's for more than one storage array. You will see more targets in that case.

For example:

vmhba1:0:x (ds4700: SP-A: Port 0)

vmhba2:0:x (ds4700: SP-B: Port 0)

vmhba1:1:x (ds4700: SP-A: Port 1)

vmhba2:1:x (ds4700: SP-B: Port 1)

vmhba3:0:x (ds8300: SP-A: Port 0)

vmhba4:0:x (ds8300: SP-B: Port 0)

vmhba3:1:x (ds8300: SP-A: Port 1)

vmhba4:1:x (ds8300: SP-B: Port 1)

However, what you need to make sure is you have enough bandwidth and I/o available to be able to handle all the LUN from both the arrays, We need to check this in any case, 2 arrays or not.

Hope this helps.

-Surya

Sdurand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the feedbak.

Do i need to install the SDD driver? So, i would get my same 2 HBAs that are zoned with the DS4700 and zone them with the DS8300?

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

SDD driver is for multipathing. VMware has it's own multipathing driver bundled with ESX server you will not need any 3rd part multipathing software.

In any case to be abel to see mutliple arrays you dont need to enable multpathing software. It's only meant for providing a redundant path to any LUN hosted by a single array through multiple SPs/Ports on SP.

Just zone the ESX server for DS8300, and a rescan should see the new targets and when you present LUNs to your host definetion another rescan you should see the LUNs from DS8300.

Hope this helps.

-Surya

0 Kudos