VMware Cloud Community
ETHERE
Contributor
Contributor

ESX or NetApp Problem

I'm new to working with both ESX and NetApp, but currently we are virtualizing computers at my company.

We are sharing out NFS volumes to the ESX servers that are managed by Virtual Center, but we are having problems with moving NetApp snapshots between datastore to datastore.

If I turn off a VM, and move its original files to another datastore it works fine no problem. But when I try to move a netapp snapshot from one volume to another datastore, it gives me a general Fault caused by file. than the file location that caused the error.

Has anyone ran into this problem?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Welcome to the boards! I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your post, if you take a NetApp snapshot of your NFS volume you can present that back to your ESX host as a point in time NFS volume, which is performend at the storage processor. Is this what you are trying to do?

The snapshot can be set as read-only or writeable but the snapshot will have the same base data as the original volume, but any changes will be written to a new area on disk.

0 Kudos
ETHERE
Contributor
Contributor

After a snapshot is made of a NFS volume, we want to grab a copy of that Point-In-Time snapshot from the snapshot folder and move it to another NFS Volume so we can use that copy for either backups or testing. But it always gives us a General fault error in Virtual center when we try to move the snapshot copies using Virtual Centers datastore browser. Also I will mount the NFS volume with a windows 2003 server browse to it like a network drive and try to grab a copy of the Point-In-Time snapshot from the snapshot folder and try to copy that to the Windows 2003 server it gives me a Access Denied error.

So basically we cannot access the snapshots of the VMImage on the NetFiler, but basic files like excel and word or folders we are able to copy it out and use those duplicates.

0 Kudos