VMware Cloud Community
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESX command line to list available snapshots and also revert VM to a particular snapshot.

I have just replicated some virtual machines (with snapshots) created in 2 CPU ESX 3.5 host to QuadCore ESX 3.5 host. Now on the new host when I try to revert to any snapshot from VC I get an error as below

Error encountered while trying to restore CPU state from file.

Now from community I found a workaround for this issue

1. Select the virtual machine from the inventory and take a snapshot (fresh migrated snapshot)

2. Now revert to any previous snapshot, you will receive the error and machine will be in suspended state

3. Edit the VMX file for that virtual machine and remove the line “checkpoint.vmState” and save the file.

4. Now power on the virtual machine, take a new snapshot at that state and delete the older snapshot at that state.

Since I have around 50 virtual machines with each having 7-8 snapshots, its a huge manual task. So just wanted to know if there are commands in ESX through which I can

1. display all the existing snapshots for a vm

2. revert to a particular snapshot from the list.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dmn0211
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

With snaphunter I actually could not find a way in which I could revert to a previous snapshot. To be specific I have a virtual machine "CentOS_5.2" with snapshot names

1. FreshVMNoTools11Dec

2. Jbossworking13Dec

3. MigratedFresh23Dec

Now I want to be able to run a script to execute this sequence in a loop like -

Revert to FreshVMNoTools11Dec (Due to error in snapshot it gets suspended)

Change VMX

Power on

Save this as FreshVMNoTools11Dec_working

Delete older snapshot FreshVMNoTools11Dec

Revert to Jbossworking13Dec (Again in suspended mode now)

Power on

Change VMX

Save this as Jbossworking13Dec_working

and so on...

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Using RCLI as an appliance and with the snapshotmanager.pl script I am able to list,create and revert to particular snapshots.

./snapshotmanager.pl --server 10.99.130.22 --username root --operation create --snapshotname "Apache Upgraded 2" --vmname CentOS_52 --powerstatus poweredOn

./snapshotmanager.pl --server 10.99.13.22 --username root --operation list --vmname CentOS_52

Enter password:

Snapshots for Virtual Machine CentOS_52 under host esx22.abc.com

Name Date State Quiesced

Apache Installed 2009-01-04T22:19 poweredOff N

Apache Upgraded 2009-01-04T22:19 poweredOff N

Apache Upgraded 2 2009-01-04T22:24 poweredOff N

Now how do I preserve the power state of the virtual machine when I take a new snapshot. I see no options for "quiesce" or "memory" with the script???

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Take a look at this flag:

--powerstatus (variable powerstatus)

State of the virtual machine: poweredOff, poweredOn

You also have the option of using "vmsnapshot.pl", both these exists on VMware VIMA or is part of the RCLI

=========================================================================

--William

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

i tried using the powerstatus switch with both the scipts, but i am not able to capture the power state.

./vmsnapshot.pl --server 10.99.13.22 --username root --password vmware1 -sname "Snapshot 01" --powerstatus poweredOn --vmname CentOS_52

Snapshot 'Snapshot 01' completed for VM CentOS_52 under host esx22.abc.com

./snapshotmanager.pl --server 10.99.13.22 --username root --operation list --vmname CentOS_52

Enter password:

Snapshots for Virtual Machine CentOS_52 under host esx22.abc.com

Name Date State Quiesced

Snap00 2009-01-05T03:02 poweredOff N

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

You're right, I've actually tried both "snapshotmanager.pl" and "vmsnapshot.pl" and neither takes a snapshot correctly when passing in the powerOn state, possibly a bug.

$ ./vmsnapshot.pl --server himalaya.primp-industries.com --powerstatus poweredOn --sname TEST-SNAP --vmname WILLIAM-LC-18

Snapshot 'TEST-SNAP' completed for VM WILLIAM-LC-18 under host himalaya.primp-industries.com

$ ./snapshotmanager.pl --operation create --powerstatus poweredOn --snapshotname TEST-SNAP --target himalaya.primp-industries.com --vmname WILLIAM-LC-18 --server 172.30.0.60 --username primp

Enter password:

Operation :: Snapshot TEST-SNAP for virtual machine WILLIAM-LC-18 created sucessfully under host himalaya.primp-industries.com

May want to open an SR with VMware regarding this command, doesn't seem to work as expected with the --powerstatus flag

=========================================================================

--William

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The powerstatus flag is actually something different..The issue is resolved now. Follow the link for resolution.

0 Kudos