VMware Cloud Community
SBaldridge
Contributor
Contributor

ESX cluster error

I have an ESX that is having problems, I'll call it ESX1. It is part of a HA and DRS cluster. Setup:

VC2.5, ESX1 v3.5, ESX2 v3.0.2, ESX3 v3.0.2

It worked fine before I messed with it this morning Smiley Wink

I upgraded ESX1 to v3.5 this morning from v3.0.2. It upgraded and rebooted just fine, everything looked good except then I added a second service console (SC) and changed the routing: new SC 192.168.60.28, iSCSI-vMotion are on 192.168.50.x subnet and there is a SC on that subnet too: 192.168.50.11. In DNS/Routing config I changed the SC default gateway to the router on the 192.168.60.x subnet and changed internal DNS to point to the 192.168.60.28 SC address.

Now my VC shows the following error on the cluster when I "reconfigure for VMware HA":

"Configuration of host IP address is inconsistent on host ESX1: address resolved to 192.168.60.28 and 192.168.50.11."

I can still manage ESX1 with VC, ping it, etc, looks up to the 192.168.60.28 address.

I have tried Disconnect/Connect with VC, removed the host from VC and added back, reconfigure for VMware HA, restarted the mgmt-vmware service on ESX1.

I have not rebooted ESX1 grimace

What simple thing did I forget to do?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SBaldridge
Contributor
Contributor

Fixed:

Edit /etc/hosts on ESX1, correct the IP address.

Restart mgmt-vmware service on ESX1

Use VC to "Reconfigure for VMware HA".

0 Kudos
Gui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

did read correctly. removed the addition

Message was edited by: Gui

0 Kudos
bbelchak
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same error, but with ESX 3i installable. I can't edit the host file directly. Any advice?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the RCLI command vifs for this. See this thread - http://communities.vmware.com/thread/130286?tstart=0

0 Kudos
bbelchak
Contributor
Contributor

There is nothing listed in that file except for the localhost entry.

I do have a DNS server for this cluster, and this HA cluster was working fine until I moved it to a new subnet.

0 Kudos