VMware Cloud Community
andrewkemp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX and routed subnets

What we are trying to accomplish is to add an ip alias to the vswif0 interface that is part of a routed subnet and have the VM's use the routed subnet address space.

The problem that we have run into is that when you add an alias to the interface, the console in the Virtual Infrastructure client stops working. It shows the time out error "a connection attempt failed because the connected party did not repond

after a period of time, or established connection failed because

connected host has failed to repond".

When the alias is there and the forward chain policy is allow, traffic can flow from the public internet on the outside of the ESX server to the VM. I have tried adding the proxy fix to /etc/vmware/config but that did not fix the problem. Any thoughts on the issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why not create a second SC/vswif on the same port group.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why not create a second SC/vswif on the same port group.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
andrewkemp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried to add a second service console port earlier today but it hardcoded the gateway in and then would fail to bring interface up with a strange error. Apparently I have changed enough between now and then that after I went to add this port in again, it didn't hardcode the gateway and the port came up appropriately.

Thanks so much! I was pulling out my hair trying to figure out how to get this to work without lots of magic voodoo that would not be supported by anyone except myself.

0 Kudos