VMware Cloud Community
ardenen
Contributor
Contributor

ESX and VLANs

So I'm implementing a virtual desktop solution and one thing we quickly realized was the desktops should not be on the server vlan. So I am attempting to trunk both the server / management vlan plus a desktop vlan to the esx servers with no luck. I have all of my esx hypervisors plus the controller plugged into a 2 switch stack of Cisco 3750Gs. Each of the three ESX hypervisors in this cluster have a quad-port nic. Two of the interfaces on each ESX are plugged into switch 1 and two are plugged into switch two.

I thought I had it all figured out -- I changed all of the virtual port groups and management interfaces to the server vlan 96 for my first virtual switch. I then set the appropriate ports on the ciso to:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 96

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,96,121

switchport mode trunk

Just like we have all of our trunk ports set up. I got everything up and running -- I lost a few pings to the hypervisor but then it came back. I figured I had it working. Then I changed over the second virtual switch and everything went down... so apparently I wasn't talking to the first virtual switch directly I was somehow going through the second virtual switch? (they are both on the same vlan).

Anyway -- i've read a lot of articles that say you have to have a port-channel so I have the following set up:

interface Port-channel4

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

spanning-tree portfast trunk

and

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

channel-group 4 mode on

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/14

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

channel-group 4 mode on

!

Still can not talk to my hypervisor. I can not find any good documentation on cisco 3750's or anything running a modern cisco IOS that has been helpful. Is there anything other than selecting a vlan in the virtual switch properties I have to do on the hypervisor? Anything i'm misconfiguring on the cisco?

Thanks,

Jacob

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Smiddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try changing the native vlan to something other than 96. It is also best practise to not use vlan 1.

Regards,

Raymond

Regards, Raymond
0 Kudos