VMware Cloud Community
askogsberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX and PXE boot when booting VM

Hi,

I installed 3 HP DL380 G5's with VI3. Each server has the same configuration with 2 integrated broadcom nics and a single quad Gig server adapter. When creating a new VM and trying to boot from the cdrom (pass thru), I keep getting PXE boot. I went into the HP bios and disabled PXE on the broadcom nics however the Intel PCI qaud ethernet adapter does not have a bios for the card where you can disable PXE boot. Furthermore, every once in a while I see the F2 for bios when the VM boots but I can never hit the key quick enough. I don't know if that will allow me to disable PXE from there either? I have tried both from the console tab and from launching the console window and still can't get passed the PXE boot.

Let me know your thoughts.....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Edit the VM, go into options, and set the boot delay option to 20000ms - you will then get a 20s delay to press F2.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Edit the VM, go into options, and set the boot delay option to 20000ms - you will then get a 20s delay to press F2.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
askogsberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you rock matt... I will give that a shot Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

also if you do not want the delay in the boot - in the same area there is a check box that will force the vm into the bios menu at the next reboot of the vm and you do not even need to hit f2 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
askogsberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks weinstein5. I am so impressed with the help out here. This is great.

0 Kudos
davidmo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can't turn PXE boot off. I have tried but it won't disable at all. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos