VMware Cloud Community
ms_1316
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Whitebox Advice

Hi All,

I've been messing around with ESX for a few months now and even bought a supported HP ML370 G3 to host some machines on. Unfortunately, although the server fires up OK and runs Windows and ESX at speed, the server freezes when I try and clone a VM; something that is vital if I'm going to be duplicating my images.

Anyway, I've tried everything and I can't get it to work so the only option for me now based on what I want to spend is an ESX Whitebox.

The spec I've put together is from what I've researched, but I have a few questions around my choices as it's been a while since I dabbled in the newer hardware and want to ensure compatibility.

Motherboard: ASUS P5BV-E/SAS - I understand ESX 3.5 can use this boards NIC and LSI 1068 SAS controller. Would it work with more than a single SATA drive, as some of the other setups I've read about seem to only include a single SATA disk connected to the controller.

RAM: 4GB and the server board in question supports EEC and non EEC. What would be recommended for ESX? Would non EEC see any problems or a performance hit?

CPU: I was looking at the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 GO - would ESX fully utilise this CPU or would another one be better?

HDD: If possible I would RAID a pair of 250GB drives as it's only a test rig. Alternatively, if only one drive will work with the MoBo "out of the box" with ESX I'll look at getting a 750B.

Once I have this I'll be putting it in a nice Lian-Li tower.

Any other comments about the spec welcome - thanks Smiley Happy

Matt

0 Kudos
0 Replies