VMware Cloud Community
drothste
Contributor
Contributor

ESX VM, MS '03 EE SCCM Server R2 VHD Converted, Performance Issues

Hello,

First post!

Just checked out all notes and searched the forums for similar issues and came-up short of a real solution.

Running on an ESX cluster with plenty of resources and VMs.

Problem:

Performance of this 1 VM, I will discuss my configuration and some things tried already.

Just downloaded the '03 Server EE SP2 VHD from MS to test out SCCM '07 in a dev. environment.

Converted with VM converter to VM image and placed on the cluster.

Image downloaded here: MS VHD Link

At first it was running so slowly that I though maybe my configuration was wrong, I went back and bumped up the resources and it got just a bit better, not much.

Here is my configuration now...

HW:

4G RAM

4 CPUs

Client Floppy and CD

Network on a VLAN

SCSI LSI Logic

HD VD 127G

Options:

OS set to '03 Server EE 32b as that is the OS

VM Tools Installed

Normal Acceleration (when Disabled, it got even worse)

Enable Logging

Expose Nx flag

Boot delay 0

Paravirtualization Disabled

Fibre Channel NPIV None

Virtualized MMU Auto

Swapfile Default

Resources:

CPU 0, Unlimited

Memory 0, Unlimited

Disk Normal

Advanced CPU HT Sharing: Any

After bumping it up, I changed it to Full Acceleration under the Display Properties, Advanced.

I lost the mouse at that point.

Uninstalled the Mouse Driver, rebooted and it was restored.

Mouse is still choppy and loading anything takes far to long.

MS Event Viewer Logs:

Application- 1 Error, not on the web so Windows Updater cannot contact.

No other logs show any other Errors, only a couple warnings which are non-affecting.

Performance:

54 Processes, ~800M PF Use, CPU Usage is normal

Any thoughts on what could be causing such a performance degradation?

If you would like more information, config. info, logs, etc., just tell me what you would like.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tasmanie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Did you try enabling acceleration for this VM (not hardware acceleration but the acceleration you enable in the Edit Settings) ?

I had the same problem with an ESX VM, after converting it from a VHD with VMware Converter (it was an EVA from Citrix for evaluating EdgeSight).

The option 'Disable acceleration' was enabled, I disabled the option (so this is equivalent to enabling acceleration), it fixed everything.

By default, the option is disabled (for example when you create a new VM), maybe it gets enabled when you convert VHD VMs to VMDK VMs (at least some of them, maybe those that have already have the option disabled) ?

Regards.

Marc

0 Kudos