VMware Cloud Community
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

ESX & VC Versions

I put together this little cheat sheet to help with determining the version of various components in Vmware.

How do I check my ESX & VirtualCenter versions?[/b]

ESX Server[/b]

o Login to service console

o Type “vmware –v” – ie. “VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 build-32039”

o Type “esxupdate –l query” to see what updates are installed.

ESX Server management agent[/b]

o Type “vpxa –v” – ie. “VMware VirtualCenter Agent Daemon 2.0.1 build-40644”

VirtualCenter Server[/b]

o Check VC Server log file with the latest date in C:\WINDOWS\Temp\vpx – ie. “Log for VMware VirtualCenter, pid=4928, version=2.0.1, build=build-40644”

o Optionally local the VI Client on the VirtualCenter server and select Help, then About.

License Server[/b]

o On the License Server, load the Vmware License Server Tools (LMTools) client and select Help, About – ie. 10.13

o Optionally, right-click on either lmgrd.exe or lmtools.exe which is usually located in C:\Program Files\Vmware\Vmware License Server and select properties, then click on the Version tab and select “File Version”

Virtual Infrastructure Client[/b]

o Load client

o Select Help from the top menu and then About Virtual Infrastructure – ie. “Version 2.0.1 Build 40644” this should match your VC Server

Vmware Tools (on a VM)[/b]

o Right-click on icon inside VM

o Click on About tab – ie. “build-32039” this should match your ESX server version

Vmware Tools (on a ESX Server)[/b]

o Type “rpm –qa | grep VMware-esx-tools” – ie. “VMware-esx-tools-3.0.1-32039”

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Hey, take a break, you are working too hard.

First the biggest compilation of VM Ware links on the planet. you posted, now this..

You love this stuff don't you?

It's people like you, why people like us can ACTUALLY use these products in the first place. I for one am EXTREMELY fortunate you are here on this forum, but man.. you must not have much free time.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks, yeah I'm addicted to Vmware, actually it was a toss up between doing yard work and studying VMware and Vmware won out. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos