VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX Switch Port configuration

We have a 3.5 ESX Infrastructure. I build the Hosts but, we have a Network Infrastructure team that handles the network side.

As far as switch port configuration. We configure our Virtual Machine vSwitches as trunk ports. Is it necessary to do the same for the Service Console vSwitch or the VMkernel vSwitch? Currently I don't think we do.

I'm a little ignorant on the Cisco side but, I want to make sure I have this straight.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you do not need to then there is no reason -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes you can - you can assign vlan tags to both service console and vmkernel port traffic - you can assign a vlan tag to all the traffic going through the virtual switch or you can assign vlan tags to each virtual machine port group, vmkernel port and service console port on the vswitch.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was pretty sure you could but, I was just wondering if it was required or if there would be any advantage to doing it. Since there isn't multiple neworks going over those ports, I didn't see any reason to.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you do not need to then there is no reason -

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

0 Kudos