VMware Cloud Community
Thomas_L_M
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX Server network configuration

Hello,

We're evaluating VMware ESX 3.5 so my knowledge and/or understanding of ESX server is very basic.

This is the situation. I have installed an ESX server. During installation I setup a fixed IP address on one of the NIC's in the server. This NIC connects to our production network. There's a second NIC in the server and I'd like that one to connect to our storage network. Our production and storage networks are seperated so it is impossible for a server that's connected only to the production network, to reach the storage network.

I've created a new virtual machine by using VMware Converter on one of our servers. This server needs access to both the production network and the storage network. The physical server therefore has two NIC's. To be able to test the virtual machine, I need to 'give' the ESX server access to the storage network. But how do I do that? I can 'see' the second NIC when I connect to the ESX server with the Infrastructure Client but I can't find where/how to configure it.

So, the questions I have are these:

- How do I setup a fixed IP address for a second NIC in ESX server

- How do I connect a Virtual Machine to both NIC's in ESX server

Thank you and kind regards,

Thomas Machielse

Hill's Pet Nutrition

The Netherlands

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

But before I do that, I first need to configure the second NIC in the ESX server, right? (Because we don't use DHCP on the storage network, just fixed addresses)

You'll create a virtual switch with a virtual machine connection type, but ESX itself will not have an IP address on this subnet. ESX will just provide switch functionality. This may seem a bit odd if you've used other virtualization products, but it's a great feature to have especially for example if you want to connect VMs directly to a DMZ or the Internet.

PS - Welcome to the VMware forums.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bartman71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Thomas,

two questions upfront:

a) Does the ESX server need access to the Storage network or only the guest?

b) What kind of Storgae are we talking about? SMB/ISCSI?

Basically what you need to do if both neworks are seperate and the ESX server does not need to access storage in that network, you create a new vswitch in ESX and connect that one to the Storage newtork and add a second NIC to the Guest (VM) from that vSwitch. Hope that makes sense.

Marc

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How do I setup a fixed IP address for a second NIC in ESX server

If you just need to grant the VM access to the storage network, then you won't give ESX an IP on this subnet. Instead you'll do the following

1) Go to Configuration \ Networking and click on add networking

2) Select Virtual Machine as the connection type , click next and select to create a new virtual switch. Select the unused vmnic for this vswitch. Provide a label for the VM port group (e.g. Storage Network) and complete the wizard.

3) Shut down your VM. Edit the VM and add a 2nd NIC to it. You'll set the Network Connection (Network Label) to be the VM portgroup (i.e. Storage Network) that you just created.

4) Boot up your VM, assign an appropriate IP to the 2nd NIC and you'll have connectivity.

How do I connect a Virtual Machine to both NIC's in ESX server

see steps 3 and 4 above.

What sort of storage are you using? With iSCSI you could have ESX access the storage and present it to the VM as a raw device mapping if the LUN already has data on it.

0 Kudos
Thomas_L_M
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Marc,

To answer your questions;

a) No, the ESX server doesn't need access to the storage network, only the virtual machine needs access.

b) The virtual machine uses iSCSI to connect to a disk on a NETAPP filer (FAS270)

If I understand you correctly I have to do the following:

- I need to setup a virtual switch in ESX that connects to the storage network.

- I need to add a second NIC to the virtual machine that connects to the storage network through the second virtual switch

But before I do that, I first need to configure the second NIC in the ESX server, right? (Because we don't use DHCP on the storage network, just fixed addresses)

Kind regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll create a virtual switch with a virtual machine connection type, but ESX itself will not have an IP address on this subnet. ESX will just provide switch functionality. This may seem a bit odd if you've used other virtualization products, but it's a great feature to have especially for example if you want to connect VMs directly to a DMZ or the Internet.

PS - Welcome to the VMware forums.

0 Kudos
Bartman71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Totally agree with Dave's replies.

Marc

Thomas_L_M
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dave,

I've set it up like you mentioned and it works perfectly!

Thank you (and Marc!) for your swift answers!

Kind regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos