VMware Cloud Community
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX Server blinking orange

Hi

I just got into my office in the morning and after a couple of hours I found one of my ESx servers mounted on the stack is blinking orange LED. the icon looked like a battery icon which u may find on ur laptop. But at the same time there were other LED's on the ESX server which are blinking green . Can anyone help me out to figure out what can be the cause of this.

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the ESX Server 3.x Configuration forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

PS - what kind of server (vender / model) do you have and where are the LEDs specifically that are blinking? Are there any error messages on the console of the host? Can you connect to the host with the VI client?

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mounted on the stack?! What do you mean, physically on your server you have a blinking LED?

You are going to need to atleast tell us what hardware you are running...

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

what is the make and model of the server running the Host, orange lights can mean a plethora of things, but from your discription it looks like you have a faulty Power supply in the machine. look at the back and check your cables in the powersupplies, if you have two Powersupplies one of them may be flashing orange

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

The ESX servers are BL p-class blades. I can find two columns of LED's. The first column comprises 7 LED's I guess. Out of them four of them indicate NIC's and other three identifies something else which exactly i cant explain but if u really want it I will explain. All these LED's are blinking green. The second column comprises 2 LED's out of which only one is blinking and its blinking with an orange color.

The funniest thing is all the VM's which are running on this ESX server are running successfully and even I rebooted the ESX server after VMotioning the VM's. But still the ESX server is blinking orange. Can that be a local storage problem?

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
lightxx
Contributor
Contributor

launch your HP Onboard Administrator / Insight Display, it will tell you the LEDs' meaning, or better yet, get yourself the user's guide @ the HP site.

also, this thread has NOTHING to do with ESX servers or VMWARE in general. you should have posted this question at the HP forums.

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yea thats right. Thanks for ur advice...

0 Kudos