VMware Cloud Community
MikeSimon
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Server V3.5 Update 3 does not recognize SATA CD-Rom

I have HP Proliant DL580G5 with a SATA-CD Rom drive. The initial installation was sucessfull, but once i log in at the console of the ESX server to install my HP Management Agents on this server, it (ESX OS) does not recognize the SATA CD-Rom. Any suggestions? I have other HP of the same make / model but with IDE CD-Rom drives and those work no issues. So I'm assuming its something with ESX & SATA-CDRoms?

Thanks in advance

-Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

ESX does not always like SATA CDROMs, it really depends on the SATA controller in use. I would see if you can change this to a USB cdrom within the BIOS. I would say the two boxes are not the same and you may wish for HP to put in an IDE CDROM for you.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
MikeSimon
Contributor
Contributor

Just got a email from VMWare Tech Support that their is a new hotfix for this that was released on 1/130/09. I will attempt to install in my environment today and let everyone know.

0 Kudos
MikeSimon
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunaltly this patch did not work. I am currently working with HP & VMWare jointly to get this resolved. Its a new HP DL580G5. The SATA chip in on the system board, so we are going back and forth to determine what the manufacture of the chip is. I will keep you allposted in what I find.

0 Kudos
MikeSimon
Contributor
Contributor

Just got a call from VMWare support last week, and the patch is in its final regression testing now. VMWare was able to reproduce it and resolve in their lab. Waiting on patch release for V3.5. They also told me its fixed in vSphere

0 Kudos