VMware Cloud Community
jrj8541
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX Server - Ethernet Adapter Issue

Hi guys, I just recently installed our VMWare ESX server we purchased. Install went fairly smoothly considering I have almost 0 experience in VM. I now have the ESX server up and going and have imported my first machine. Everything went well, but when I powered the machine on I noticed a problem. The legacy NT4 box I am virtualizing says it has 1 eth adapter and has an IP address of 172.16.3.X, the ESX options screen says it has a different ethernet adapter with IP of 127.0.0.1. I need to know how I can change the ESX adapter to assume the old adapters address, which is of course not plugged in any more.

Thanks for all your help guys, some of you are a true wealth of information when it comes to VMWare.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Adapter failed when I tried to install it saying it

needed a DLL file. I figured VMTools might have been

hosed so I reinstalled that. I still don't have a

network adapter and can't install the exe as I don't

have internet access to DL it.

I will have to burn it to a CD and try that way. I

will keep you posted tomorrow.

For NT4, it doesn't work like any of the more current Windows operating systems (2000, 2003, XP, etc).. It won't automatically install the right network driver for the NIC, so you have to manually. The driver is (or should be) on the VMware Tools CD for the network card.

Hope that helps!

-Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ZMkenzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware shows the ip of the first interface. If it says 127.0.0.1 it means that your machine has no ethernet interface and so it shows the loopback one.

Did you install vmware tools? Are you able to ping the machine on the 172.16.3.x address??

MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you created this VM, did you install VMtools?

jrj8541
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMTools is created, and no I can't ping the 172.16.3.X IP

0 Kudos
jrj8541
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NT4 machine shows an adapter type of Intel EtherExpress Pro Adapter which I confirmed was the type of adapter in the original physical box. In my testing this product, I always saw a VMWare adapter show up in the list of adapters on the guest. I never tested NT4 though, so anyone know if I have to do something special to make this work?

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Once you're running a virtual machine, you don't need to worry about the old physical NIC drivers or types anymore.

The VM will run with a PcNEt adapter now.

0 Kudos
jrj8541
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So how do I tell the machine what IP address to use on that PCNet adapter?

0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Remove the physical ethernet adapter from the network configuration tab and add in a new adapter, the VMWare PCNet adapter (this gets installed by VMWare Tools).

Reboot and configure it with the IP details you want to use and Bob will most surely be your uncle.

0 Kudos
jrj8541
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Under the Network Connection settings, all I see is VM Network in the drop down list

Message was edited by:

jrj8541

0 Kudos
jrj8541
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@ Jon - Deleted the old adapter, don't see one called VMWare but I do see an AMD PCNet adapter. I will try that and report back.

0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Under Control Panel - Network - Adapters you should see the AMD PCNet PCI Ethernet Adapter listed.

If not, you haven't added the adapter yet and you need to add one before you can configure it with the correct IP address.

0 Kudos
jrj8541
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adapter failed when I tried to install it saying it needed a DLL file. I figured VMTools might have been hosed so I reinstalled that. I still don't have a network adapter and can't install the exe as I don't have internet access to DL it.

I will have to burn it to a CD and try that way. I will keep you posted tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just as a comment, I would highly suggest before going into production with this environment you take the course as well as make sure you have a full understanding of how ESX works. This is a perfect play environment to test to learn these things...

Did you accept the default paritioning on this server as its workable, but not a configuration most of us would put into a production environment.

When you setup the networking in the configuration page did you put the Service console on vmswitch0 and create a new vmswitch1 labeled LAN or something and then make sure the VM is showing up on that network?

0 Kudos
jrj8541
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is largely just a sandbox to play in for the time being. Yes, I did accept the basic partioning, but I followed someone else's advise and did as you mentioned in regards to creating a new VMSwitch

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Adapter failed when I tried to install it saying it

needed a DLL file. I figured VMTools might have been

hosed so I reinstalled that. I still don't have a

network adapter and can't install the exe as I don't

have internet access to DL it.

I will have to burn it to a CD and try that way. I

will keep you posted tomorrow.

For NT4, it doesn't work like any of the more current Windows operating systems (2000, 2003, XP, etc).. It won't automatically install the right network driver for the NIC, so you have to manually. The driver is (or should be) on the VMware Tools CD for the network card.

Hope that helps!

-Steve
0 Kudos