VMware Cloud Community
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESX Server 3i - Getting a command line

Hi all,

I installed new version ESX Server 3i yesterday.

I read the whole post: http://www.run-virtual.com/?p=196

and this trick does not work for me.

I enabled the option VMKernal.boot.logOnScreen and the option VMKernal.boot.vmkKeyboard check box,

because I didn't find the option VMkernel.Boot.Shell.

When I restart server and I press Alt-F1, no option to login, I see only last running process.

Advanced option "shell" hasn't any effect.

Is possible enable command line?

Thank you.

Sorry for my bad english.

Message was edited by: Badsah (added RCLI tag group tags)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The commands are done remotely, I believe. You have to install the command line tools on your computer to get to the console.

I haven't done this myself, but this is what I have heard.... I don't think you can get an actually command line / shell at the 3i host itself.... but maybe I am wrong.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there, if you look at that page again and scroll all the way down to the bottom you'll see a post about the option being removed in a later release. The site was providing the shell option based on a beta version and not the final release. You'll need to download the Remote Command Line Interface from here - .

PS - Your English is very good.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

On the download page Dave mentioned you can install the Remote CLI on either a Linux or a Windows server. There is also a prebuilt appliance that can be downloaded, i haven't tried it so don't know if there are any issues with the appliance.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

as has already been stated, you will need to download the RCLI tools or the RCLI appliance both are valid options, once you have that installed you can manage your 3i server to your hearts content,

Have a read the documentation found here to get an idea of 3i management

as as Dave said "your English is very good"

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ok, I know about the Remote CLI

thanks to all for answer

0 Kudos