VMware Cloud Community
dmitryk6
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Server 3.5 and Windows Server 2008 network problems

Hello all. First of all, sorry for my english(

I'v setted up ESX Server 3.5 Update 4 on HP DL380G5 server. Then I'v installed two guest machines: Windows Server 2003 standard x32 and Windows Server 2008 standard x32. The 2003 box working fine, but there are network problems with 2008: sometimes I can't access it from external network (even ping stop working). At this moment I can ping a 2008 box from the ESX Server shell, from 2003 box, but I can't ping it from external computer. But when I ping external computer from 2008 box - the network starting to work for a while and the suddenly stops. No errors in logs detected.

I'v changed NIC on DL380G5 - no result. Changed NIC adapter type in "Virtual Machine Properties" - no result. Energy Saving is turned off.

Current workaround is a permanent ping to external network... Please help to solve this problem.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

This appears to be more of a Windows 2008 problem rather than VM Ware, since you don't have problems with Windows 2003. I would try searching Windows forums for help.

We can speculate all day about why it's not working, but it's not really related to VM Ware. Since the VM starts it has a ping, then something inside that VM is causing it to lose ping. One tip keep the firewall ON/Enabled. Some services require the firewall to be operational. You won't be able to ping that VM external unless you make exceptions to the firewall, but as long as you can connect, that's all that matters.

0 Kudos
nicko971
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Same problem here, i've got no errors in Windows. But the VM under Windows 2008 x64 can't be access from network (even ping). Looks like a problem with the driver ?

0 Kudos
dmitryk6
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, looks like the problem is in Windows 2008 or HP. I'v installed 2008 directly on my server and the problem repeated...

0 Kudos
nicko971
Contributor
Contributor

It was a bug in the trend office scan firewall client. i disabled it, and all works again.

0 Kudos