VMware Cloud Community
Rockwell_PS
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Server, 3.5.0, 82663

Ever since I upgraded my 3.0.1 to 3.5.0, 82663 I cannot update tools. It fails at installing new Video,mouse and NIC .(which it disables and puts 127.0.0.1). I have tried several methods to install but either says it cannot find a file or that it is not compatible for this version. Support is scratching there head on this one. They remoted in on my PC and tried basically the same things I did with the same results. Case is still open with them..ANY HELP?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Andy66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does it give you the option to upgrade the virtual hardware when the vm is powered down?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

OK, here is the fix:

uninstall the tools. Reboot the VM. Remove the vmware folder from c:\program files. Remove the NIC from hardware configuration.

Re-install the tools. Reboot the VM.

Done.

0 Kudos
Rockwell_PS
Contributor
Contributor

No it does not.

0 Kudos
Rockwell_PS
Contributor
Contributor

Still no go...same error when it gets to installing the video.

0 Kudos
vvarnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got PC/Anywhere, VNC or some other video-related application installed? I've seen apps and drivers that tie into the video subsystem cause similar issues before.

VwV

0 Kudos
Rockwell_PS
Contributor
Contributor

Now that you mention it, it seemed when I orginally had the problem there was an indication of a vnc hook error. Thought I had removed it, but not sure if something is still hanging around.

0 Kudos
Rockwell_PS
Contributor
Contributor

Well, removing VNC from my test VM and I cleared out all I could find in the registery of VNC worked and I thought this was the complete fix....but I tried the same proceedure on my production DC and it crapped out the same way. AAARRGG!! Took me down for about 20 minutes having to re-input my statics in TCP/IP. and re-enabling the NIC it took offline. .

0 Kudos