VMware Cloud Community
waghekk
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Kickstart testing plus concerns

Hi Guys,

Wonder if someone can suggest the best way to test the script out because at present any changes i do i have to go through the whole installation again. Is there shorter route i.e. just run the post script and keep testing that rather than going through the install all over?

Secondly, has anyone successfully managed to get rid of the standy nic by default, i tried different things and just cant get both my nics active same time. I need the nics active in vswitches but configure the standby on a per port basis.

Finally how do i refresh NAS/NFS storage in script.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

In terms of testing your post script, it's just a standard bash shell script, in that case, do a vanilla installation of VMware ESX which ever version you choose, and then create a seperate script as a testbed, once you have it down, then incorporate that into your ks.cfg %post script section. Alos when you create this script you might want a quick script to revert all your modificatoins so you can really test to see if your script works.

i.e. Create 2 vSwitches with 10 portgroups, then delete your vSwitch/portgroups.

Steps: 1) vi postScriptTest.sh 2) add your commands 3) chmod +x postScriptTest.sh 4) ./postScriptTest.sh

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

I've been testing my scripts using a virtual ESX server on my laptop. There are instructions somewhere on this site which describes how to configure a virtual ESX server using VMware Workstation.

0 Kudos
waghekk
Contributor
Contributor

ok, i have installed a standard installation. The test script works when i install switches etc and create portgroups but get an issue when am trying to run scrips with just vimsh commands in there for example:

usr/bin/vimsh -n -e "hostsvc/net/portgroup_set --nicorderpolicy-active=vmnic2 --nicorderpolicy-standby=vmnic0 vSwitch0 'VMotion'"

But strangely when i do a full install sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

So i decided i would do a standard install and test each section by sifferent scripts. When do any statements as such i get errors like:

file not found

currently directory: /usr/lib/vmware/hostd

What am i missing? Is there something i need to before i run scrips via putty to test.

Hope someone can give me a suggestion with some explaination being a novice in this.

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

usr/bin/vimsh -n -e "hostsvc/net/portgroup_set --nicorderpolicy-active=vmnic2 --nicorderpolicy-standby=vmnic0 vSwitch0 'VMotion'"

I have a ks script at the office that will enable VMotion without using vimsh. I'll post it here in the morning.

Jason

0 Kudos
waghekk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I can enable vmotion but am not able to set my Nics to be on active and standby for the vmotion group or any other groups using vimsh.

I am trying to do it via using a putty but keep getting errors as mentioned.

0 Kudos