VMware Cloud Community
Deb0
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Installation Backup - Best Practices

As part of my DR plan, I want to be able to quickly restore an ESX host to Bare Bones hardware without having to install. Anyone know of a tool/method of fully backing up the ESX host so that it can be quickly restored?

I'm not looking for VM backup advice, as I have an effective plan for that.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Since a scripted installs takes only about 5-10 minutes a backup really isn't needed.

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would not agree, as you have to apply all security patches (unless you are on the version that had none available, or none applied)

You would have to remember what patches were applied and what other changes were made to ESX server (NTP config, root access, local users etc)

That would be WAY more than 15 min even scripted

I would recommend Ghost4Linux http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

You can have it easily run from PXE server (or even virtual appliance) & have a proper image backup of your ESX server on any media (FTP is good & fast)

Seb

0 Kudos
Deb0
Contributor
Contributor

So basically, I should use software package capable of doing baremetal backups and restores? I'll download your linux util and check it out. Acronis is my personal favorite, but I'll give both a run and see how it turns out.

thx for the input.

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recommend g4l, as I could not get a proper image backup done with ie. Symantec's Ghost 11.1

g4l was a breeze, and the fact that it can run so nicely from PXE server is a bonus

Seb

Deb0
Contributor
Contributor

You've sold me on it....I'll let you know how it goes. thx.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

We don't back up ESX hosts either. We have many ESX hosts in a cluster so it's not a big deal. If you hvae only ESX hosts, I suppose restoring from backup might be quicker.

Are you truely restoring from backup, or is this a rapid deployment tool?

Jason Boche

VMware Communities User Moderator

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the image backup for a very dark hour (like a total hardware failure)

Hopefully will never have to use it (also good for ie. "downgrade" from ie. failed upgrade to 3.5 etc)

Seb

0 Kudos