VMware Cloud Community
ScottHolman
Contributor
Contributor

ESX & IET iSCSI tuning

I need some advice on tuning ESX and IET iSCSI to give the best performance.

I've a couple of 3.5 box fully patched and connected to a suse 10.3 server configured with the latest version of IET (I can't remember the verison). I have everything working. i.e. multiple VMs working perfectly well stored on iSCSI LUNs presented by the suse box. I've used the default settings for both ESX & IET, which is giving OKish performance. I've not performed any IO testing, so the performace assessment subjective.

Do anyone have any tuning suggestions? Any IET tweaks that will boost performance?

Any suggestions other than use OpenFiler or FreeNAS are welcome. Tried those but my hardware is too new for the stable verisons and the beta's give me lots of problems; that's why I went down this route.

Also does any have any suggestions on tweaking a 3ware 9650?

I've not done much research yet as this is my home environment, and was hoping somebody else had already done the leg work.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ScottHolman
Contributor
Contributor

Plenty of views, but no suggestions.

Has any one tried using jumbo frames with this?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

We use IET for our personal setup, but if you're really interested in tweaking IET to get the best performance, you should really look at the IET forums. I've heard they're really serious in the best performance and the configuration with VMware ESX & IET is pretty standard in their forums. You'll probably get more feedback in helping you tweak it.

0 Kudos