VMware Cloud Community
espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ESX Host Configuration-Network Adapters

Greetings all,

Can someone please explain to me why under the Configuration tab, Network Adapters, the Networks column, do the IP ranges constantly change? And they are not consistent with other hosts in the same cluster? I am running ESX 3.0.2 (52542), VI server 2.0.2 (62327), VI client 2.0.2 (62327). This is currently not an issue as all my VM's in this cluster are working properly, I am just curious as to why this is.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The pNics on the ESX run in promiscuous mode and therefore have access to all the traffic passing across the wire. The software is peeking inside the packets and looking the the source/destination IP address in the header to try and make a best guess as to the IP subnet it's attached to. What you see is it's 'best guess' at any point in time.

It's for informational use only. As you have noted it has no effect on how things runs - although it does throw up a few surprises every now and then.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I always thought it was just the IP ranges it could see the VMs using through that network adapter. So depending on which virtual machines are on there determines which networks will be listed.

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The pNics on the ESX run in promiscuous mode and therefore have access to all the traffic passing across the wire. The software is peeking inside the packets and looking the the source/destination IP address in the header to try and make a best guess as to the IP subnet it's attached to. What you see is it's 'best guess' at any point in time.

It's for informational use only. As you have noted it has no effect on how things runs - although it does throw up a few surprises every now and then.

0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The network adapter "attempts" to see what network is attached to that NIC. If it's changing, it's possible that the NIC could be having connectivity issues or getting drops at the physical nic or switch layer. Connect to your switch and see if you see "errors".

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
espi3030
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ctfoster,

I heard something like that in the past. Is that documented somewhere, I'd like to give my supervisors some peace of mind.

Thank you

0 Kudos