VMware Cloud Community
GauranG1
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Down ! Please help

Hi,

I have a ESX which is down, the VM's are running on Shared LUN's.

1. If I install another ESX will i loose the existing VM which are there on LUNs.

2. How do i go about configuring the existing VM on the new ESX host.

I am new to ESX so please be kind to give step by step directions.

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

are all the VM's in a powered on state or powered off? What do you mean by having an ESX server down, hardware failure, what?

If your VM's are in a powered off state, they should show up in VC as disconnected. You could always browse the datastore(s) and re-inventory them somewhere else.

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I assume your LUNs are OK, and you are using an FC SAN.

If so

Build another ESX host (recommendation is not attach to SAN until built), and license it.

Connect host to SAN. Config SAN to allow access from host. (i.e. zoning, lun masking etc).

On ESX host, rescan your storage controllers for vmfs volumes.

Browse the datastores found for your VMs.

Double click the vmx files to register them.

You should then be able to start those VMs on your new host.

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Assuming that all your ESX hosts are configured the same and correctly and they all touch the "Shared LUN" as you say, you should be able to login to another ESX host, browse the shared LUN and right click the VM .vmx file and add to inventory. From there you can power back on those VMs that went down.

If you rebuild your ESX host and it is attached to a fiber connection, I would strongly recommend that you unplug those fiber lines because there have been cases when someone reinstalls ESX and it formats their SAN LUN instead. If you aren't using fiber, and you have nothing residing on your ESX host local storage space, you should be able to rebuild your ESX host without any worries.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
GauranG1
Contributor
Contributor

This is first day at the job, and first install, but with all your help i am sure i will be able to achieve the results.

ESX server which is down is not becuase of hardware failure,, Someone messed up the whole networking side of things, (since i am new i dont know a hell lot of networking) ,, there are 5 vswitches ,, but i m intrested in only vSwitch0 (which has vmnic0 and vmnic2 attached. Both vmnics are up. I am trying to get the snapshot of the screens which will help me troubleshoot this box or else i will have to rebuild another esx host and configure the existing vm's.

0 Kudos
GauranG1
Contributor
Contributor

Attached are screen shots Part- I of the esx server, could someone please tell me which configurations could help to resolve this service console issue and how ? (Please tell me the commands - As i m new to ESX)

Also please let me know if you need any particular screen shot. The problem is clearly with networking but i don't know how to fix it. Could someone pleeeeeeeease help.

0 Kudos
GauranG1
Contributor
Contributor

PART II

0 Kudos
3sh
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have an active service contract?? Call up vmware support man!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

are your VM's in tact? If so, I wouldn't waste time on trying to troubleshoot an issue your not familar with. My advise, rebuild.

0 Kudos
GauranG1
Contributor
Contributor

I have the 3.5 cd, should i reinstall from local cd drive ?

As the VMs are in shared LUNs. So My guess is i should disconnect the fiber first, and then do the reinstall from the local cd drive ?

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes make sure you disconnect the fiber lines before you rebuild using the local cdrom. you don't want to accidently format your SAN Smiley Wink

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos