VMware Cloud Community
GauranG1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX Cable Labling - Best Practices

Would greatly appreciate if anyone can help with STANDARD OR BEST practices when it comes to do Labling Cables for ESX boxes (Specially when they have Multiple NICS.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ServerAdmins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We label the ESX end of the cable with phyiscal switch number, physical switch port, vlan number and vmnic number. That helps us heaps.

The label looks something like this: 5/43 vlan8 vmnic1

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How do you label inter-switch connections? I would label the interface cables similar to how you label those. You probably want which switch, and which vlan's you are allowing over the connection. May be too much on the label, but more info is better than less.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Now that 3.5 supports cdp if you use a cisco switch. It is easy to identify which server and which nic is connected to a port.

I still use the description field on the switch. I now enable cdp in both directions on the vswitch.

I also use identical nics and slots on all my esx hosts to make identification easier. With that said I do not label a cable

itself, I use the switch and cdp

ServerAdmins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We label the ESX end of the cable with phyiscal switch number, physical switch port, vlan number and vmnic number. That helps us heaps.

The label looks something like this: 5/43 vlan8 vmnic1

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos