VMware Cloud Community
Tyrone_Burke
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3 vmnic allocation

Guy's i seem to have messed up luckly it is on a clean server but.... i have one guest server on it whic i do need...... my server has 4 nics but through a moment of madness i allocated vmnic1 to the guest. on doing that i have lost connection to the esx host via VI and SSH is there a command line injection to remove vmnic1 from the guest server?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Santhosh_vmware

Hi ,

First unlink vmnic1 from vswitch(used by guest) then add link vmnic1 to vswitch(used by console)

#esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic1 (switchname here typically vswitch0 is vswitch in use by console)

regards

santhosh

0 Kudos
Tyrone_Burke
Contributor
Contributor

Hi santosh i might ned to explain the way i set up the server all nics should be on switch 0 teamed togeather there is a portgroup but not a second switch

0 Kudos
divintas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

would you please provide the output for:

esxcfg-vswitch -l

Maybe this will help to calrify your config.

regards,

0 Kudos
Tyrone_Burke
Contributor
Contributor

on running esxcfg-vswitch -l

Switch name number ports Used Ports Configured Ports Uplinks

VSwitch0 32 6 32 vmnic1,vmnic2,vmnic3,vmnic0

Portgroup name Internal ID Vlan Id Used Uplinks

Vlan_129 Portgroup8 0 0 vmnic1,vmnic2,vmnic3,vmnic0

Vlan_135 Portgroup7 0 0 vmnic1,vmnic2,vmnic3,vmnic0

Vlan_PSE Portgroup6 0 0 vmnic1,vmnic2,vmnic3,vmnic0

VLAN_TRN Portgroup5 0 0 vmnic1,vmnic2,vmnic3,vmnic0

VLAN_TE2 Portgroup4 147 0 vmnic1,vmnic2,vmnic3,vmnic0

Vlan_TE1 Portgroup3 146 0 vmnic1,vmnic2,vmnic3,vmnic0

VMnetwork Portgroup1 0 0 vmnic1,vmnic2,vmnic3,vmnic0

Service Console Portgroup0 0 1 vmnic1,vmnic2,vmnic3,vmnic0

0 Kudos
Santhosh_vmware

Hello Tyrone,

Please correct if I am wrong . you have added vmnic1 to vswitch0 ? then you lost connectivity ??

regards

santhosh

0 Kudos
Tyrone_Burke
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think so i was on the guest servr and was playing and i believe i added vnic1 to the guest

0 Kudos
Tyrone_Burke
Contributor
Contributor

also showing this in the VI please see attached screen grab

0 Kudos
Santhosh_vmware

Hi,

Looks like attachment is missed.From your esxcfg-vswitch -l results

service console is alone in VLAN 1 .Is this configuration changed ?

regards

santhosh

0 Kudos
divintas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What I think you did is that you add vmnic0 to the vswitch. Because its the last one in the list here. (must not be only a guess) So maybe the vmnic0 is not properly configured at the hardware switch level. So please try to unlink this from the whole vswitch or from the service console port group.

Another point here..... There are VLAN tags set ... the config really seems to be wired.

esxcfg-vswitch VSwitch0 -U vmnic0

0 Kudos
divintas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Santosh ... The first value are the VLAN ID .. second is the used ports... Which points to another problem.. None of your VM is using one of the VMnetworks atm.... Are all VM's offline?

0 Kudos
Tyrone_Burke
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry here's the screen grab from the VI don't know if i mentioned i have also lost ssh control of the server sorry screen grab is being blocked i have a work aroung for the screen grab see the .doc

0 Kudos
divintas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So you are able to connect to the esx with the VI client! (Or else you couldn't capture this screenshot)

ssh is still not possible? The VI client and ssh use the same target-> Service Console. What exactly is the error message you receive?

0 Kudos