VMware Cloud Community
bond007taz
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3 and HP EVA 5000 - ESX can not see presented LUN

Specs:

VMWare ESX Server 3

HP Proliant DL380 G4

HBA: QLA2340 and QLA2342 (using both for troubleshooting)

HP EVA 5000 (2 HSV110's running firmware 3.028)

One disk shelf connected to EVA with one 36 gig VDISK presented to ESX on LUN 1

For some reason I am unable to get the ESX server to see the HBA or the LUN's presented to it by the EVA Command View. When i go into the VI client it does show the "QLA2342/2342L" card and the "QLA231x/2340/ card. At the bottom it shows:

vmhba1

mode: QLA2343/2342L

WWPN: xxxxxxxxxxxxx6d

Targets: 2

SCSI Target 0 (vmhba1:0:0 with LUN ID 0)

SCSI Target 1 (vmhba1:1:0 with LUN ID 0)

The interesting thing is the VI Client can see the HBA when I go to rescan for storage adapters in "Storage Adapters" it doesnt come up with anything new. However when I do a rescan, i get a message on the ESX 3 Console:

scsi: unknown type 12

Vendor: Compaq Model: HSV110 (C)Compaq Rev: 3028

Type: Unknown

resize_dma_pool: unknown device type 12

when i go into the console and look under /vmfs/devices/disks the only 2 disks that are listed are the local SCSI disks:

vmhba0:0:0:0 vmhba0:1:0:0

When i try a esxcfg-vmhbadevs i only get the 2 SCSI disks

vmhba0:0:0:0 /dev/cciss/c0d0

vmhba0:1:0:0 /dev/cciss/c0d1

I do not know what else to try... I have rebooted many times... Any ideas?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
paulo_meireles

It works great on the EVA 4k/6k/8k but the mirror ports get taxed on the older arrays. This may cause performance issues.

Thanks for sharing that. There's nothing like real-world experience. I'll soon know for sure, as we're about to upgrade to 4.x... Smiley Happy

Anyway, our EVA 5000 is almost 3 years old, and we're migrating all VMs to a new EVA 6000.

0 Kudos
Mabotty
Contributor
Contributor

I use Emulex Fibre cards to connect to the SAN. I have to get into the BIOS of the actual cards to make a note of the World WideWeb names of the ports. The host ports are added via the EVA command view prior to presenting the disks to the host server(s).

0 Kudos
paulo_meireles

I have to get into the BIOS of the actual cards to make a note of the World WideWeb names of the ports.

You have no need to do that. On the VI Client select a host, go to the "Configuration" tab, and then to "Storage Adapters". Next to each HBA you will find the "SAN Identifier". Also take a look here[/url].

Paulo

0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

I have to get into the BIOS of the actual cards to make a note of the World WideWeb names of the ports.

Not WWW Smiley Wink

It is WWN: World Wide Number/Name or WWPN: World Wide Port Number/Name.

But I agree. I do like to do some testing before the OS is installed.

The host ports are added via the EVA command view prior to presenting the disks to the host server(s).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but when I give a training I explicitly disrecommend that people enter the WWPNs manually. I suggest that they set up the switch zoning and then poll the EVA from the adapter BIOS. This makes sure that the port becomes registered on the EVA and you can see its WWPN in the pull-down menue when you create a new Host object or add another port(WWPN) to it. This helps to rule out typos.

0 Kudos