VMware Cloud Community
1badtl
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3, Server 2003, and Tape Libraries

Is there any way to get a library to work with a Server 2003 vm running Backup Exec 10? It sees the physical tape drives, but not the library, so it cannot see the tapes. I have two Sony TSL-11000 libraries that I need to use. On a non-vm Server 2003 machines, it shows as an Unknown Medium Changer which works fine, it just needs to see the changer to work.

I hate to move this server BACK to a non-vm machine.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried install Veritas medium changer driver?

0 Kudos
1badtl
Contributor
Contributor

I told it to use all Veritas drivers during install, but since Windows does not see a Medium Changer, no further drivers are installed.

0 Kudos
khowatt
Contributor
Contributor

In order to get the library recognized, you need to create a generic SCSI device within your VM, and assign it the same SCSI ID as your library is using. You should also match the physical tape SCSI ID's to the VM as well.

I had no problems getting Backup Exec 10 and ArcServe running this way with an HP library.

0 Kudos
1badtl
Contributor
Contributor

If you look in the Windows Hardware settings, do you see a Medium Changer ?

I think all my SCSI settings match. If not I don't think it would see the drives at all. It sees drives, but lit the library.

0 Kudos
1badtl
Contributor
Contributor

I installed BE 11d for the heck of it. Still no joy.

This is what I should see. The Medium Changer. This is a physical server I want to eliminate.

http://www.gwfweb.com/support/vm2.jpg

This is what I see on the VM Server

http://www.gwfweb.com/support/vm1.jpg

This is what BE shows. It sees two drives, but no library.

http://www.gwfweb.com/support/vm3.jpg

0 Kudos
piacas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is the library connected via and adpatec SCSI card? Thats the ONLY supported card......

0 Kudos
1badtl
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Adaptec 39160 card.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you edit the settings for the VM, do you see 3 generic SCSI devices? (i.e. 2 for the tape drives and a third for the tape library).

0 Kudos
1badtl
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I know, the library is not using a separate SCSI ID. When you go into the Adaptec setup, it only shows the drives, not the library. When I add a new SCSI device, I only see the TAPE 1 and TAPE 2

Here are the settings.

http://www.gwfweb.com/support/vm4.jpg

When I started this, I only had one controller. It added a 2nd when I tried to make two since the drives are on channel A and B.

Message was edited by:

1badtl

0 Kudos
khowatt
Contributor
Contributor

I've just been able to verify my configuration:

The tape library is connected to its own SCSI card (an Adaptec 29160) and the server's drives are connected to their own controller. In my VM configuration, I have two virtual LSI SCSI controllers - one attached to the Virtual Disk, and the second LSI SCSI controller is attached to the tape library. There are three SCSI devices created on the second controller: one for each of the tape drives, and one for the medium changer, with virtual SCSI ID's matching the ID's of the tape drives and changer within the library.

Within the W2K3 guest, I can see a medium changer and both tape drives (as well as two SCSI controllers) in Device Manager. The backup software is able to see all of the tape slots and create partitions as if it was connected to a physical host.

I think the fact that your changer is not visible as a SCSI device (both physically and virtually) may mean that your out of luck with that particular library.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

VMware doesn't currently support multi-lun libraries within a VM. Instead you need do have a library that is multi-target (one SCSI ID for the library, another for the tape drive). See page 2 here:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_backup_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
1badtl
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, this totally sucks. I have three of these Sony TSL-11000 Libraries. I just purchased an internal one that will be a real waste on this server. I can move the others to a physical box I guess.

I keep running into blocks, even though we are doing our best to virtualize. First it was no USB support, and now this.

Don't get me wrong, I love VMWare. We are basing our entire Disaster Recovery plan on it.

Thanks for all the help. It wasn't the answer I wanted, but I can stop fooling with it now.

If anyone comes up with a workaround, I would be most greatfull !

0 Kudos
Snova
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anybody knowing if HP's Libraries and Autoloaders are multi-lun oder multi-target devices?

I have to setup a single ESX Server with an autoloader attached to a backup VM...

0 Kudos
Brian_Mitchell
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into the same problem with an IBM 3583; and I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't see the changer. You know, ESX is a good product but some of its shortcomings cause a great deal of headache.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

While ESX does have shortcomings (which I don't consider show stoppers by any stretch as I have yet to be able to totally virtualize an entire environment) the real issue I see is that you each have implemented the product without actually understanding it to begin with.

Read the documentation before purchasing, understand what this will mean in your environment and architech the environment to deal with the shortcomings. You will still have a full head of hair and won't have a bruise on your forehead...

Windows had obvious shortcomings as well but we all seem to work around them without alot of bitching because we know what they are, have accepted them, and work around them.

VMWare is no different.

0 Kudos