VMware Cloud Community
skilachi2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3: ISO Images on Windows 2003 server as NFS or iSCSI/VMFS Datastore???

Finally managed to setup my Home ESX 3 up using a SATA RAID card and all files located on the VMFS volume. Configured the 2 SATA 160GB drives as RAID 0 so giving me a total of 300GB space...

My question now is i want to put the my ISO images so i can start creating some vm's on the host. All the ISO images are on my Windows 2003 shares and was thinking of mounting the shares as NFS but saw a post which says you'll need Windows 2003 server R2 edition (i've only got the normal 2003 Enterprise SP2), is this correct regarding what version of Windows to use as 2003 R2 has got NFS Services, which has to be enabled/started on the server.

Also read iSCSI which is another option, which i'll probably setup using another machine by installing Openfiler. Or better still just copy the ISO images to the local VMFS volumes and start creatimg vm's. If thats the solution, do i need to create a folder on the VMFS volumes to put this iso images and create another folder where the vm machine configuration files (vmdk files) will be stored as i dont want the drives to fill-up?

Any suggestions are welcome as i've installed FastSCP incase i need to upload the files to the ESX server.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you want to mount the Windows share the instructions here will do the job for you: http://www.vmware-land.com/Vmware_Tips.html#ESX8.

You could also copy the ISO images to your datastore (i.e. /vmfs/volumes/storage1 ) with FastSCP and that would probably be the fastest and easiest solution. You can just leave them in the root folder of the datastore. You won't have to put them in a folder unless you want to.

0 Kudos
PerryWhittle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

dont forget you can also have the ISO images on your pc that has the VI client installed. When deploying VM's you can connect the VM cd drive to an ISO on your pc at VM boot time (need the VM cd drive set to client device first in the VM settings). I used an FTP client to send the ISO's to my ESX server, then logged on as root and moved the files to the appropriate folder on the VMFS datastore.

Pez

Please rememeber to award points if you found this helpful or correct
0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

You don't need R2 to export a NFS share in Windows Server.

You only need Microsoft Services for Unix.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You don't NEED R2, it comes PRE-installed / included.

You can use that link to download the Unix Services for Windows.

It will work for ANY version of Windows 2003.

NFS is much easier to use, make sure you give root access to the NFS share, and use this command in the ESX server to mount the NFS:

mount -t smbfs -o <user name>= //Windows Share/Share /vmimages/ISO [ Windows share is the fully qualified name ex. - . vmimages is off the / folder of the ESX server, and must create the sub folder BEFORE you execute the command. the // is different on Linux / Unix, so be aware they look different. User name is the user name on the Windows server with access. Just share it as anonymous and root, if it's just ISO, it shouldn't be a big deal for security.

I use NFS rather than the VMFS volumes, because they are easier to maintain, I don't have to worry about where they are, they are easy to find if you keep a central server for this purpose. IMHO

0 Kudos