VMware Cloud Community
ufo8mydog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5U4 Upgrade and Issues Thread

Hi all,

Now that U4 has come out, has anyone had a chance to be a guinea pig and test it - have you had any issues, bugs, or weird stuff happen? (well, a lot of weird stuff happens with ESX. It is just a matter of degree Smiley Happy).

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
115 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert

Running U4 on a Dev 2950 now ....

All of my Vmware nodes were all Builds - 143128 Prior to the U4 patch.

I updated my VC Server last week to U4....

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
SurfControl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vm reboots after vmotion it to an U4 host

I have a 5 hosts U3 cluster, I upgraded one of them to U4, no problems during the upgrade but when I vmotion one of the vm's from U3 host to the upgraded U4 host, the VM reboots itself, this VM does have "Check and upgrade Tools before each power-on", but my understanding of this feature was that the vm will check tools upgrade when it gets rebooted...NOT AFTER A VMOTION PROCESS?? am I wrong?

my VC is 2.5 U3

0 Kudos
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would upgrade your vcenter to u4 first....

Sent from my Nokia E71

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos
SurfControl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i thought VC2.5u3 was compatible with ESX3.5u4? anyone?

0 Kudos
tmancini
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like the HP Managements Agents were updated to 8.2 to support U4. VMware has 8.2 on their compatibility list.

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@bitsorbytes: Update your HP agents. 8.11 is the supported version for U3 and above.

Update: Of course I read further into the thread and see that others have posted the same info....DOH!

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Reboot after vmotion happened with only one VM ? It is also a good practice to have your VC version at the same level as ESX but this is not a thumb rule.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
SurfControl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

reboot only happens to the vm's with "Check and upgrade Tools before each power-on" enabled...

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the update.

Thanks,

Samir

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
bitsorbytes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've confirmed that updating to HP Agents 8.20 before the U4 update, fixes my hanging on startup. As as has said, the best update path process would be:

1. Install new HP Agents 8.20 on ESX

2. Update vCenter to U4

3. Apply U4 on ESX.

As we are playing with two new updates (or three if you haven't done VC 2.5 U4) here, I wouldn't be rushing to drop both of these to prod just yet. I've updated my devlab hosts for the moment. Will give it a little while before rolling into prod.

0 Kudos
kinny_k
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a problem after the upgrade. So far everything but Virtual Machine Console is working. Could this be related to an out-of-date or missing vmware tools install?

Also, I upgraded ESX before VC. Don't know if that could cause this problem.

Looking at /var/log/secure after attempting to open the console the last thing is:

Redirected mks to (ip address of host):903

I also tried connecting with the vmware console ( probably a very old version ) and the last thing I see in the log is:

Could not execute /usr/sbin/vmware-serverd

Don't know if that helps with the diagnosis.

Help please. Thanks.

0 Kudos
medic29
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone seeing an issue with the Virtual Machines tab of the VMI client not refreshing properly?

I had downloaded the 3.5 build 12xxxx something a few weeks ago. When I had external windows open to monitor the VM's the VM tab would display info in fairly realtime. Yesterday I did the update to U4 and one of the first things I noticed was the host CPU and Mem areas would sometimes just blank out. A manual refresh would do the trick but just wondering if anybody has noticed this small issue.

0 Kudos
deceit
Contributor
Contributor

Running HP BL465c with latest HP agents 8.20 and latest firmware CD 8.40.

Some hosts are still getting the attached errors when intialising the IPMI after installing the new Agents.

0 Kudos
Zahni
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

same Hardware, same error.

I had opened a support request.

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

By default, the VMware Remote Console connects over port 902. To

change the port the remote console uses, complete the following

steps. As you have changed it to 903.

1. To change the port vmware-authd runs on, edit the /etc/xinetd.d/vmware-authd file. Change the port = entry to the desired port number. Do not use
    ports 80 and 443 -- they are already in use.

2. To change the port the console connects to from a remote
    client, edit the /etc/vmware/config file. Change the authd.client.port = "" entry to the same port
    from the previous step.

3. Restart xinetd.
    /etc/init.d/xinetd restart

4. Restart the VMware Management Interface.
    /etc/init.d/httpd.vmware restart

Now you can connect on the port you specified here.

If this doesn't help then try the below oprions.

Edit /etc/vmware/config and add the following:

vmauthd.server.alwaysproxy = "true"

Then restart the xinetd service:

service xinetd restart

Last will be to uninstall the VMware-vpxa agent from the ESX server and reconnect back to VC.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

0 Kudos
Tigerstolly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Done two upgrades on non-live hosts via UM.

One host (DL 585 G1) already had 8.11 HP agents installed. The other (DL360 G5) didn't have any installed because its still in build phase. Both upgrades to U4 worked OK. The installation of the 8.11 agents on the 360 after the upgrade to U4 also worked OK.

Am on VC 2.5 U4

0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

> "Check and upgrade Tools before each power-on", but my understanding of this feature was

> that the vm will check tools upgrade when it gets rebooted...

> NOT AFTER A VMOTION PROCESS?? am I wrong?

It's my understanding that the VMotion'ed VM does an implicit power-on on the destination server. Wasn't that a problem in earlier releases, too?

0 Kudos
aaronb123
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I needed to reboot the HP server in order to first uninstall the 8.10 Agents and then another reboot to install ESX Update 4.

So, two reboots (minimum) to perform updates to each ESX server.

Thanks,

Aaron B

0 Kudos
SurfControl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can someone confirm this?

due to this problem, basically it prevents me upgrading other esx servers in the cluster

0 Kudos
fpjs
Contributor
Contributor

EDIT: post changed completely from before.

ESXi 3.5 Update 4 no longer offers any special version for HP and IBM. U3 used to include special install images for these vendors.

Has this now changed or what ?

0 Kudos