VMware Cloud Community
EricDeWitte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5U2 Patch - timebomb - Cleaning up Update Manager

After very bumpy days getting hit by the Update 2 timebomb and the patching of hit, time is now to cleaning things up.

My beloved Update manager still contains the "buggy" Update 2. The question is : do I leave the "buggy" update 2 in Update Manager - excluding it from the baseline ?

Will VMware remotly remove it and replace it by a fixed one ?

They have been working hard to provide the express patch. They are working at providing new ISOs. Did they plan on cleaning up Update Manager?

VMware feedback welcome :smileyblush:

Eric.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You don't have to remove them. VMware will not remove them from your local depot.

Your VUM will continue downloading new patches.

Just deselect them from your baseline and not use them anymore.

0 Kudos
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am not at update 2 yet. Can I use update mgr to get there? I do see both releases (bad one and re-released) out there.

I see alot of "not applicable" patches listed in update mgr. Should I add all of them since June (last time I patched) and let it sort out which ones to apply or not.

0 Kudos
RobertGreenlee
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare should come up with a way for us to get rid of the old patches from our database. I know not to install it but if I get hit by a bus I don't want my replacement to try and install it someday.

0 Kudos
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not have any faith in update mgr at this point.

I created a fixed baseline dated in June. To not update anything after June. But ESX350-200806201-UG was installed anyway. Support said it's a bug in update mgr. My fixed baseline was ignored and patche(s) after my set date were applied.

FYI- This was on a dev host. Not the ones I am speaking of above. All of my production hosts are not at update2 yet. I am just trying to figure out how to get there and what patches to apply. It would be nice if I could use update mgr.

0 Kudos