VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

ESX 3.5U2 Patch experiences?

Just posted:

Let's close down the other thread, as it's getting really long and hard to navigate.

Thanks. Rest assured that many people inside VMware are reading your feedback and experiences here.

0 Kudos
153 Replies
ezhosting
Contributor
Contributor

Applied patch through update manager, everything went smooth

0 Kudos
SchwarzLFK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

we are located in germany and have 17 hosts with 75 VMs on it. We have our productive SAP-System on the VMware and even our productive MS Exchange System. We have the release 103908, but i must say we were not really affected. As our machines are productive ones there are never powerd off or suspended. Therefore our VMs worked fine the whole time. This morning I remediated the first host to install the fix with Updatemanager and everything went fine. It took about 10 minutes. My luck was, that one of the hosts had no VMs on it. So i did this one first. Afterward I was able to migrate VMs from the other hosts to the patched host. So I will patch all 17 hosts without any downtime.

Sure, It was a really big failure from VMware to publish this bugy code, but in my opinion it was not as bad as most people are writing here. I think VMware has soved the problem proffesionally.

Kind regards

Patrick

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert

Patched Esx3i with update manager.

All went fine...

Maish

Systems Administrator & Virtualization Architect

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos
Melfice
Contributor
Contributor

Had you set the time back, before your were updating with the update manager?

Because I'm getting an error that the metadata are missing when I want to scan a host.

0 Kudos
SchwarzLFK
Contributor
Contributor

No, I had the whole farm the whole time on ntp.

0 Kudos
supporti
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

can someone explain me how to apply the patch to the esx hosts, if maintenance mode is needed but vmotion does not work, so the guest machines cannot moved away from the host? I started the update process, using the update manager, but now one host wants to go into maintenance mode and tries to move all guest machines away, but all theses tries run into timeouts. I cancelled the update process now and i'm still waiting for the cancel process is finished

best regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> Can someone please explain to me why a "FREE" product has a friggin expiration date? It just does NOT MAKE SENSE!

Dude calm down! Your second line says it ALL. IT's A BUG! OK, we got it. They didn't elminate you FREE users, they did it to ALL products, it was a mistake. They fixed their mistake, let's move on, K?

We can worry about the fall out later.

MS has made some major screw ups, Intel has had more than their share of debacles, I can think of several other companies that have made other errors, no body is perfect.

The patch is out, it fixes the problem, and we don't need to know how much you paid for licenses... if that's ALL you paid you got off cheap!

The problem is fixed, let's just leave it at that. We don't need to start bashing VM Ware now. BELIEVE ME, internally VM WARE is MORE upset about this than you are TRUST ME!

They are FULLY aware of the impact this has had, and they worked to get it fixed, let's not point ANY more fingers. There has been enough commotion for one day, thanks.

0 Kudos
Bastian_Haas
Contributor
Contributor

Just installed the express patch and it seems to work fine...

As we only have 2 ESX hosts with 15 VMs I had to shut down less important VMs (like WSUS etc.), set back the time on the first host to use VMotion, updated the second host, migrated the VMs again, updated the first host and finally migrated the VMs back to the normal state and restarted the machines I had shut down.

Our Update Manager doesn't work at the moment (I'll open a support case for that...) so I did the update using esxupdate :smileyblush:

Regards,

Bastian

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

can someone explain me how to apply the patch to the esx hosts, if maintenance mode

OK, here is what you do. Download the patch to your PC.

Then use winscp to upload the patch to your ESX host (to the /tmp folder). download winscp:[http://winscp.net/eng/index.php]

Then you unzip the patch from the command line (unzip 'patchname').

That will extract some files and folders. cd to that folder.

run: esxupdate update from that same folder.

Now your patch should apply itself, and I don't think you need to do anything with the host. Just run the patch (It doesn't need to be in maintenance mode) and that's it. You are done. Once you patch ALL your hosts, they should vmotion and the problem is now fixed.

0 Kudos
SchwarzLFK
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

your need one host free of VMs und have to fix this host first. Perhaps you can power down a view not so important VMs? After you have one host fixed you can use the vmotion to fix the other host. On me farm with 17 hosts everythink worked fine with the update manager. I had the luck, that one host was without VMs so I could start directly.

0 Kudos
Bastian_Haas
Contributor
Contributor

can someone explain me how to apply the patch to the esx hosts, if maintenance mode is needed but vmotion does not work, so the guest machines cannot moved away from the host? I

VMotion will work if you set the system time back to a date before 2008-08-12 on the destination host.

0 Kudos
debpa
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

hmmm, I have problems installing this patch.

I downloaded the patch from vmware and extract it with unzip <filename>

Afterwards I did:

esxupdate -d file:///root/ESX350-200806812-BG scan

- Bundle Name - AppFlags --- Summary --- iFlags

ESX350-200806812-BG -

N-v Fix the time-bomb issue for U2. -mh

and

esxupdate -d file:///root/ESX350-200806812-BG --test update

As a result for this command I get the message:

INFO: No -b specified, selecting all bundles in depot.

INFO: Configuring...

ERROR: Integrity Error!

Why "Integrity Error"? What is my mistake?

Best regards,

Dirk

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

We have four affected hosts, one of them didn't run any guest. We tried to patch this one with UM, but the first attempt didn't work, as the metadata was missing. We set the maintenance mode manually and tried to remediate it again and this time it worked.

After that we moved a guest which was offline to the patched server and it started successfully there. Then we tried to move a online guest with vmotion, again successfull.

Now we're evacuating the guest's from each host, one by one, to the patched one to patch the other hosts.

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are these patches available via VMware Update Manager, as I can not see them?

0 Kudos
paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just downloaded and installed the timebomb patch via VMware Update Manager. all tested and working fine now. Good work VMware for resolving quickly!

Paul

0 Kudos
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have run the update task on update manager so that it goes and downloads any new available updates. Byt the tasks are just queued. I guess vmware are getting alot of traffic so it may take some time.

Was this the case with you?

0 Kudos
SchwarzLFK
Contributor
Contributor

You have to start the download task befor you can see the updates in update manager. You can find it on the button sheduled tasks! Good luck!

0 Kudos
paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Kinda. The task sat there at about 50% complete for about 10 or 15 minutes then completed. I imagine the download servers are a bit busy at the moment! Also the patch didn't require a reboot which is nice.

0 Kudos
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah I have started the download task, I now just have "update signature" initiated by CMWare Update Manager Update Download Queued. So I am assuming it is waiting to download.

How long has this taken for other people?

0 Kudos
sisi
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

I upgrade my first esx and 10 minuts then RemediateEntity is 66%, with Update Manager

visit my blog at: http://vmgmt.wordpress.com
0 Kudos