VMware Cloud Community
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESX 3.5 + vCenter 4.0 Storage VMotion

In vCenter 4.0 is it possible to start a Storage VMotion migration on an ESX 3.5 host? In my lab setup I have only one migration option.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It is possible, the vCenter 4.0 upgrade is definitely worth it imho. You also get the ability to do thin provisioning.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

In order to for sVMotion to work in vSphere4, you must have your VM's running on ESX4 Hosts, the Guest Tools need to be up to date and the virtual hardware needs to be v.7

You cannot use the vCenter4 option on 3.5 guests.

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

wha? That's not true at all. Right now I have an ESX 3.5.0 Update 2 host svmotioing a guest ( vHardware 4, 3.5.0 U4 tools ) from thick to thin.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

so you are using the built in "migrate" piece of vCenter4 to sVmotion your 3.5 guests to new datastores? I stand corrected and apologize if I gave wrong information.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

But you need the guest to run on ESX 4 if it has more than one vDisk and you want to move the vDisks independently.

With ESX 3.5 you only can move the whole guest with all vDisks to a new datastore.

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

...as I pillage through the documentation set for vSphere.

I will take your word for it since i haven't tested, but why does the OP have the option greyed out?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Actually I'm sitting in front of the desktop and move guests around because we are performing a SAN redesign.

I use vSphere vCenter and sVmotion them from ESX 3.5 and 4 hosts wit the the restriction on 3.5 I already wrote about. It even works without the latest VMware Tools installed.

I don't know why it is greyed out. Maybe no license (activated), maybe the host can't see the storage needed.

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

learn something new everyday.... Maybe I should test better before I make such a bold statement.

Thanks, Andreas!

0 Kudos