VMware Cloud Community
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 upgrade question

Back in December we updated our ESX 3.0.2 servers using the 12/07/07 3.5 build. We had since applied patches released for 01/17/08. Just recently a new build 02/20/08 of 3.5 has been released. It was stated there is a known boot issue if you udated ESX 3.0.2 server using the 12/07/07 build of 3.5 ESX ISO. The solution was to download the 02/20/08 build of ESX 3.5 and run the upgrade again. I was wondering what this might do if we already applied the patches release on 01/17/08? Would upgrade manager detect a need for those patches again or would the latest build of 3.5 02/20/08 have those patches built in. Do not want to mess up our ESX servers by running the upgrade again till I find out how to proceed.

Craig

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bretti
Expert
Expert

Your best bet may be to call support and verify the steps you need to take.

The latest build of 3.5 dated 02/20/08 does not have all of those patches built in, I think you would need to patch again.

If you were not affected by the issue when you upgraded, I don't think you need to re-install. If your hosts still boot ok, then I dont think there is a need to start over. Check the KB article again.

0 Kudos
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor

I have not reviewed our console boot to see if KB1003801 applies. Will do that. I assumed that if one updated to 3.5 using the 12/10/2007 build that you would have the issue. Does that boot message mean if you upgraded using the 12/10/2007 build and have a working ESX 3.5 server you are ok? Or your server works but has an issue as defined by the boot error displayed. Still running no production on these ESX severs so no harm done.

Craig

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert

It's not clear to me if everyone that upgraded will have the issue. I think they mean it might happen, but in some cases you will not have the issue.

I think if you upgraded and are not getting the error message, they you should be ok. If you are affected by this error, then I think you would know right away. Based on the last line in the error message that says "kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00" I think you would know if you were having the issue. Typically that leads to a server that will not run.