VMware Cloud Community
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 unable to connect to iSCSI target

Hi All,

I have an esx 3.5 build 82663 (Update 1). We have taken over this company so we are migrating this datacenter. I do understanding tha patching is not up to update 5 but it was not our environment and we are trying to get it going.

We have three esx servers

1) production svc console - 192.168.7.x

2) Storage network - 192.168.9.x

3)Equallogic - 192.168.9.x

4)Storage Switch - CISCO 3750 switch

5) Jumbo frames enabled on vswitch, vmknic, physical nics, switch, vlan and storage array.

6) software iscsi client allowed outgoing connection through 3260 (tcp)

Troubleshooting performed

esxcfg-vmknic -l - looks ok and with jumbo frames enabled

esxcfg-nics -l - looks ok with jumbo frames enabled

esxcfg-vswitch -l - looks ok with jumbo frames enabled

esxcfg-route -l - (looks good)

192.168.7.0 255.255.255.0 local subnet

192.168.9.0 255.255.255.0 local subnet

default 0.0.0.0 192.168.7.1

vmkping works between storage network interfaces (192.168.7.x) i.e. physical switch, equallogic and other esx storage network interfaces.

vmkping -s 9000 192.168.9.11 (equallogic san) works with no packet loss.

Ping does not work between the interfaces.

Ping from Physical switch to equallogic san and esx storage network interfaces works

Access to the equallogic luns shared between interfaces are restrticted by storage network ip address (192.168.9.x). The luns do have check marks against them to have multiple initiators to connect to them.

No chap authentication enabled anywhere.

I have got another server with same configuration connecting to it without any issues the only difference is esxi can access it and esx servers cannot access it.

Our environment has been esxi only. This is the first time i am using esx and a update 1 system for iSCSI.

I am on a critical path to complete the project.

It would be helpful if i can get all the help possible.

Cheers,

Karthik

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I'm not mistaken in 3.5 your service console needed to have access to the storage network too. Try setting up a second service console on the storage network and see if you can view the LUNS. Might also be worthwhile to pour through the vmkernel logs and see if you notice any errors.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I'm not mistaken in 3.5 your service console needed to have access to the storage network too. Try setting up a second service console on the storage network and see if you can view the LUNS. Might also be worthwhile to pour through the vmkernel logs and see if you notice any errors.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you. Much appreciated and it has worked.

Cheers,

Karthik

0 Kudos
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

The ping has worked but still i am unable to discover the luns even after reboot of the server.

Cheers

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you had a chance to review the vmkernel logs and see if you can find any errors?

0 Kudos
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I fixed it. It is all good. Thank you for the help.

Cheers

0 Kudos