VMware Cloud Community
mrfern
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 trial install now installing license.lic problems

I recently installed ESX 3.5 Standard edition on a IBM X 3850 Quad processor with 16 gig of RAM. Easy install and super easy to set up the Virtual Client and start managing os's. Question I have now is the license. I have a license.lic from VMWARE and when I try to edit the configuration for the license info in the VMware Infrastructure Client for the host I get an error telling me The uploaded license content was not valid. How do I get a valid license installed on this ESX 3.5 Standard Edition server? 2nd Question. Where is the plugin to take a ESX image to a workstation V6.5?

Fern

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dellboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question 1

So I take if you've already generated a Host based license (not centralised) file from the Manage Product Licenses section of your VMware account, and are now trying to add it to the host

One thing you can do is confirm the license file is valid: License File Checker. If corrupt, you may have to delete and re-generate it.

Question 2.

Are you referring to VMware vCenter Converter? Starter edition is free

mrfern
Contributor
Contributor

I figured it out. The license type I was installing was valid however I have a standard install and not a centralized install. The generation of the license sent to me was for a centralized ESX server and not a standalone. I got the correct license type and all is well.

Thanks for Helping

0 Kudos