VMware Cloud Community
out2sea
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 server seeing external HP smart array

Have installed ESX 3.5 server on a HP DL380 G5. There is a Smart Array P800 card installed with a MSA 50 shelf attached. ESX sees all internal disks and the P800 card but not the shelf or disks. Can anyone help to tell me what else is required for configuration. Must add that I have done NO VM courses and have been sent by company and told to make it happen. Have got ESX 3.5 installed ok, Virtual System Centre is installed ok as well and connecting to hosts through that.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

What size has your logical drive, have you initialized it?

0 Kudos
out2sea
Contributor
Contributor

Thats the problems I've got. I can configure the logical drive through the hp acu but all I am able to see from within the esx host is the P800 card and there seems no ability to be able to see/configure/format/partition the disks/logical drive.

0 Kudos
out2sea
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I know I have. How can I check?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Size is important here - what size of your logical drive can you see?

0 Kudos
out2sea
Contributor
Contributor

The logical drive is showing as 2793.7 GB

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So about 2.7TB. Could you reconfigure the space on the P800 into multiple less than 2TB logical drives. Then check to see if the space can be seen by ESX.

0 Kudos
out2sea
Contributor
Contributor

Guys thanks a lot for your time in helping me with this. I am about to re-size the disks and having googled this point it does look like thats the issue.

0 Kudos