MrJ_
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 installation hangs

Hi all,

Our ESX 3.5 installation hangs during setup. We install ESX as follows:

1) Mount ISO (3.5 u4)

2) Run: esx ksdevice=eth0

Then the install kicks off, you see some drivers loading but after "Sending request for IP information for eth0" the screen remains blue. Normally you should see below the screen the keyboard, diplay and mouse drivers loading before the setup continues but now nothing.

Anyone an idea what is happening during that point? Reading in the .cfg file? In DHCP we see the lease for the server, but is was expired straigh away.

Thanks!

J.

/edit:

When running the setup without the parameters (just "esx") the setup continues just fine. So maybe the config file isn't good? Or the config file cannot be loaded? Which seems to be strange because it is reachable from other servers.

I also attached our KS.cfg script.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

the ks file looks pretty fine....is dhcp server working fine....try assiging ip to other machine and see if it works..also try creating a new ks file...hope this helps

Anil Gupta

Don’t fear changes, its constant in life, reduce your ecological footprint……………………..Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

Looking for a Virtualization Solution, look here.....

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
MrJ_
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for your answer. I already recreated the KS.cfg file without any luck. Gonna restart the DHCP service later on this day.

I am curious to know what exactly is going on behind that blue screen. Smiley Happy It's to early in the setup to press ALT-F4.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

It just tries to fecth valid IP from DHCP....:) since it is not getting proper response..it hangs there.....

Anil Gupta

Don’t fear changes, its constant in life, reduce your ecological footprint……………………..Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

MrJ_
Contributor
Contributor

Restarting the DHCP service did the trick. Thanks. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Dont forget to reward points...... Smiley Wink

Anil Gupta

0 Kudos