VMware Cloud Community
peterlyttle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5 iSCSI Scan Problem

Hello, I am having a problem that when I setup iSCSI and scan vmhba32 it shows me the luns. However when I reboot the server the luns do not reappear and the only way to get them back is the following steps.

Uncheck the enabled option in the vmhba32 properties

Remove the target address from the dynamic discovery of vbmhba32

Set the Chap authentication to disabled

Then reboot.

Add the above settings back in and then rescan.

I have a service console port and vmKernel port setup and I can ping and vmkping the target. The software iSCSI port 3260 is open on the fw. The iSCSI array is a MSA1510i and hosts are HP DL380G5s

Any help much appreciated.

Peter

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
nappyrat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

do you have portfast enabled on your iscsi switch ports?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

I saw here problems (not solved) with msa1510i on Esx 3.5 - must admit it is not supported even on 3.0.2 and 3.5 and only supported on 3.0.1 with one SP and fw. 1.30.

So I guess it won't work correctly.

0 Kudos
peterlyttle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes nappyrat, port fast is enabled.

I have done a few searches christianZ and see that there were a few problems with the MSA1510i but its strange the way that when it is first setup and I scan the vmhba32 the luns show up. But as soon as I reboot it and scan it again they dont show.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Maybe thus it is not supported with 3.0.2 and 3.5.

0 Kudos
Smeagol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had the same problem here with a linux ietd target, one 3.5 node saw it and the other didnt. vmkpings worked fine.

We rebooted still no good, we didnt enable and disable though. We were migrating to nfs anyway so didnt worry about it.

However we had issues ensuring that iscsi stayed disabled after removing the targets and disabling the service. It would restart itself. vmkswisci.conf file was still showing the target discovery location, so remarking that out fixed that.

Plus liberal use of esxcfg-swiscsi -d

Bottom line I think sw iscsi in 3.5 has a bug. In fact I know it does Smiley Happy

We are all patched up to date as well.

0 Kudos
peterlyttle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree but it would be nice if someone knew a fix / work around. If not then theres not much I can do.

Thanks for the help folks.

0 Kudos