VMware Cloud Community
VMTest201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 host swap file size and location

Hello,

Where is ESX 3.5 host swap file located, what size and how do I know how much is being used? I am thinking about not taking up all disk space.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcoem to te Communities - Are you referring to the per VM vmkernel swap file or The Service Console swap file - if you are referring to the per vmvmkernel swap than te other posters answer is correct - if you are referring to the Service Console swap file that is created and set during the installation of ESX and a seperate partition is created

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

by default the location is a folder of each virtual machine.

chekc http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkb.vmware.com%2Fkb%2F1...

VMFS/LUN size?

Added Jun 23, 2009, By Duncan Epping with 28 Comments

A question that pops up on the VMTN Community once every day is what size VMFS datastore should I create? The answer always varies,  one says “500Gb” the other says “1TB”. Now the real answer should be, it depends.

Most companies can use a simple formula in my opinion. First you should answer these questions:

• What’s      the maximum amount of VMs you’ve set for a VMFS volume?
  • What’s      the average size of a VM in your environment? (First remove the really      large VM’s that typically get an RDM.)

If you don’t know what the maximum amount of VMs should be just use a safe number, anywhere between 10 and 15. Here’s the formula I always use:

round((maxVMs * avgSize) + 20% )

I usually use increments of 25GB. This is where the round comes in to play. If you end up with 380GB round it up to 400GB and if you end up with 321GB round it up to 325GB. Let’s assume your average VM size is 30GB and your max amount of VMs per VMFS volume is 10:

(10*30) + 60 =360
360 rounded up -> 375GB

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcoem to te Communities - Are you referring to the per VM vmkernel swap file or The Service Console swap file - if you are referring to the per vmvmkernel swap than te other posters answer is correct - if you are referring to the Service Console swap file that is created and set during the installation of ESX and a seperate partition is created

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
VMTest201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

How can I see it[the swap file]?

Thank you

0 Kudos
VMTest201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi David,

I am referring to the service console host file.

I see no /swap in the , like cd / and ls, I followed the default ESX server installation.

Thank you very much,

Calin

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

IF you used the defaults then the swap size will be 544 MB - this was the default size in ESX 3,5 - /swap as I recall will not show using regular file system commands - you can try df -h or the free command - free will show you how much is being used -