VMware Cloud Community
dahem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 connect to SAN

Can someone please inform me how I connect to SAN?

I have VirtualCenter with two hosts running ESX 3.5 but I would like to communicate with the SAN for storage.

I've already connect 2 HBA cards (model: HP FC1243 4GB). any driver/software required to be installed on ESX?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
titaniumlegs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi!

Well, there are a few steps which could involve a lot of detail depending on your SAN (which includes both the switches and storage device). Oh, and do you mean FC SAN or iSCSI?

If you mean FC SAN, then the basic outline is

• Hardware stuff (HBAs, cables, switches, storage device) which it souinds like you might have done.

• Switch zoning. Most people seem to agree on single-initiator zones, meaning each HBA port has a zone with that HBA port WWPN and the storage device WWPNs it should see.

• Create LUNs.

• Map/mask/unmask or otherwise present LUNs to the initiator which may involve creating initiator groups or some other grouping of server WWPNs to allow them to see the LUN and also assigning a LUN ID.

• Rescan in ESX (In the VI Client click the server --> Configuration --> storage adapters --> Rescan), or from the CLI with esxcfg-rescan <vmhba#>

• Create a VMFS (on one server) by clicking the server --> Configuration --> storage --> Add storage and follow the wizard

• Rescan on the other servers and they should all see the same VMFS

For more information, see and your SAN vendor's docs.

For iSCSI, there are a couple extra steps like setting up a VMkernel port, enabling the initiator (for SW), adding targets all of which is covered here

If you happen to have NetApp, start here:

Enjoy!

Peter

Share and enjoy! Peter If this helped you, please award points! Or beer. Or jump tickets.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
benma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

your HBA is on the HCL. The Drivers are already included on your ESX(i).

Link to the HCL:

I don't know your environment but you create a LUN, adjust your zoning and connect your ESX-Hosts.

After rescanning your Storage Adapters you should see your LUN.

titaniumlegs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi!

Well, there are a few steps which could involve a lot of detail depending on your SAN (which includes both the switches and storage device). Oh, and do you mean FC SAN or iSCSI?

If you mean FC SAN, then the basic outline is

• Hardware stuff (HBAs, cables, switches, storage device) which it souinds like you might have done.

• Switch zoning. Most people seem to agree on single-initiator zones, meaning each HBA port has a zone with that HBA port WWPN and the storage device WWPNs it should see.

• Create LUNs.

• Map/mask/unmask or otherwise present LUNs to the initiator which may involve creating initiator groups or some other grouping of server WWPNs to allow them to see the LUN and also assigning a LUN ID.

• Rescan in ESX (In the VI Client click the server --> Configuration --> storage adapters --> Rescan), or from the CLI with esxcfg-rescan <vmhba#>

• Create a VMFS (on one server) by clicking the server --> Configuration --> storage --> Add storage and follow the wizard

• Rescan on the other servers and they should all see the same VMFS

For more information, see and your SAN vendor's docs.

For iSCSI, there are a couple extra steps like setting up a VMkernel port, enabling the initiator (for SW), adding targets all of which is covered here

If you happen to have NetApp, start here:

Enjoy!

Peter

Share and enjoy! Peter If this helped you, please award points! Or beer. Or jump tickets.
0 Kudos
dahem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your advise.

So, No need to install anything on ESX host and just need to allocate LUNs

to our ESX , rescan it ,and then create the storage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Dragon1337

<communities-emai

ler@vmware.com> To

<abdulrahmanbahwaireth@sabb.com>

03/02/2009 10:10 cc

AM

Subject

New message: "ESX 3.5

connect to SAN"

A new message was posted in the thread "ESX 3.5 connect to SAN":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1185442#1185442

Author : Dragon1337

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/Dragon1337

0 Kudos
titaniumlegs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Like Dragon1337 said, your HBA is on the HCL, and under the HP part number it's a QLogic HBA for which the driver is built-in, as are all supported drivers.

So, yes, it should "just work"!

dahem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I got SAN LUNs.

Many thanks to ALL of you.

Best wishes

titaniumlegs

<communities-emai

ler@vmware.com> To

<abdulrahmanbahwaireth@sabb.com>