VMware Cloud Community
RODDYM
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 and IBM x3650 with QLE-4060 iSCSI HBAs - Boot Issue Resolved

I was able to resolve the issue I had with the Qlogic 4060 cards and IBM x3650 server by performing the following steps.

STEP 1

I downgraded the firmware of the cards to .27 revision. I was able to obtain the firmware from IBMs site at the following link:

Create a bootable ISO from the download and you can flash the firmware of the cards straight from the CD.

STEP 2

Assigned IP addresses to the Qlogic cards through their bios utility at server boot-up. Of course, IP address and Gateway on the iSCSI network.

STEP 3

Went into the bios of each card (CTRL – Q) at start up and under advance settings changed these default values per the read me text on the latest BIOS revision of the 4060 cards.

6.1.3. Advanced Adapter Settings

-

Delayed ACK

Enter to toggle between Enabled and Disabled. The default is

enabled.

MTU

Enter to select either 1500 or 9000. The default is 1500.

Primary Boot Data Digest

disabled.

Primary Boot Header Digest

disabled.

Alternate Boot Data Digest

disabled.

Alternate Boot Header Digest

disabled.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
orion812
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I ran into this issue a few days ago.. x3550s two single iSCSI HBAs. I started with only one HBA installed in the system. after finding the right BIOS and Firmware combo for the HBA to actually not hang for 15 min on ESX install...things were looking up... but as quickly as the hope came....it left when ESX could not see any usable hard disk space to install on. I went through the settings and changed per the IBM retain tip here

as you stated in your post, you changed these settings as well. or at least i think you did. when I set card back to defaults, all those things this tip is saying to disabled are ENABLED. Going back to your post Delayed Ack and MTU.. what (if any) changes did you make to those settings?

I feel like im soooo close, and yet so far away... and why does it have to be this hard? Smiley Happy grrrrrrrr

thanks for your time.

One who doesnt care is one who shouldnt be...

One who doesnt care is one who shouldnt be...
0 Kudos